Which washing powder and fabric conditioner do you use?

Inspired by @Bathsheba’s question in another thread - which washing powder and fabric conditioner do you use? :smiley:

I use:

Persil Non Bio (the blue one)

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/persil-powder-non-bio-37-washes/004513-1913-1914

And the Ecover Fabric Softener (Gardenia & Vanilla)

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/ecover-fabric-softener-gardenia-vanilla-50-washes/758757-203306-203307

I am quite sensitive to strong smells but I find these to be ok (while still smelling nice and getting the job done!)

For bed sheets I only use washing powder, the sensitive which which has very little fragrance:

https://www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/essential-sensitive-laundry-powder-22-washes/482656-298819-298820

And sometimes I will add some essential oils in some water where the fabric conditioner goes.

(You don’t really want strong smelling ‘chemical perfumes’ at night as most of us have our windows closed - essential oils are much better.)

usually daz or surf

1 Like

Ecover washing powder, fabric conditioner and dishwasher tablets. It smells nice and delicate, is kind to skin and of course kinder to the environment (we hope!)

I cannot bear the smell of some washing powders and people can bring that smell into your house where it lingers for 45 mins or it wafts in the street if they are wearing clothes washed in the chemical stinky brands that spend a fortune on advertising campaigns. I mean, do you really prefer to smell of washing powder artificial “fragrance” rather than perfume, aftershave or pheromones?

1 Like

Haven’t seen that one Azz. I used to like what I think was called “into the meadow” the original fragrance.

1 Like

I’m the same Annie!! I really can’t stand strong perfumes or aftershaves and I think they should be banned! Sometimes I go for a walk on the bike track and am unlucky enough to be walking behind someone who’s sprayed some ghastly deodorant, perfume or aftershave and it makes me want to :078: :lol:

The Gardenia & Vanilla is the nicest imo - give it a whirl :023:

I will see if I can find it, but bulk order the massive 5 litre refill so may take a while :slight_smile: :grin:

There should be an ASBO for polluting the air with strongly scented detergent smells.

1 Like

I’m an Ecover user, too … :basket:

1 Like

Whatever is on offer…I dislike the highly perfumed ones though

1 Like

Sainsbury’s own brand - non-bio laundry powder. Don’t use fabric softener at all.

1 Like

I use either Sainsbury’s or Tesco’s non bio liquid (not gel) and any own brand fabric conditioner which has a mild scent. Like others here, I cannot abide strong chemical scents, or overly strong perfumes and aftershaves. I actually find the over powerful ones almost as offensive as being in someone’s cigarette smoke slipstream.

I don’t use fabric conditioner on towels or bedding, and every so often I will wash them in soda crystals with white vinegar in the conditioner drawer (no the smell doesn’t linger on them!) to flush out all the excess traces of chemicals.

1 Like

I use Ariel liquid tabs plus Ariel powder.

I don’t use fabric softener very often ,when I do it’s called,Comfort

1 Like

I use FairyPods - I love the clean smell of them, and they have laundry soap & conditioner together so it saves faffing about with different things. Just chuck it in and go.

1 Like

I don’t go near the washing machine (I wouldn’t know how to use it if I did) that’s the wife’s department, but, she uses Fairy non bio pods and Dettol fabric cleaner…so she tells me.

1 Like

Whichever is on offer and provides the best value while still working to my satisfaction, but it’s sometimes not easy to work out because of the caveats and much though I would like to be able to use the likes of Ecover on a regular basis, it seems not to be very effective in our household. I’ve tried a few other alternatives too and so far haven’t found anything that works for us.

For example the gel-type liquids especially of some of the discounters like Lidl are a great price and work well, but on the downside they quickly gunk-up my washing machine so that I have to put it through a hot clean cycle more often and that negates any saving.
And modern machines use less water so you don’t need as much liquid as is recommened, but it means that powders aren’t ideal because sometimes they don’t dissolve properly.
Laundry?
It’s a minefield of potential problems!
:rofl:

So at the mo. I’m using a 4.2 litre bottle of Surf Tropical Lilly with Comfort Ultimate Care, Fresh Sky scent as the softener.
Even with three of us this will last a while.

1 Like

No idea, that’s V’s job :laughing:. All I’m concerned about is that it’s non-bio 'cos I’ve got such delicate flesh :grin:

1 Like

I use Persil non-bio & Comfort.

1 Like

Skip washing liquid and powder and Sta-soft fabric softener

2 Likes

I’m an enthusiastic user of Dri-Pak products - I alternate them with Ecover:

https://www.dri-pak.co.uk/

:+1:

2 Likes

Oh I had no idea they had so many products! I use their soda crystals, but have never bought the others. I use a non brand white vinegar. Scuttles off to do some Googling :icon_wink:

2 Likes