Where did you move and what do you like/dislike about the area or your experience there?

Following Julie’s thread on why, where did you move and what do you like/dislike about the area or your experience there?

Ok, I moved to one of the most Northen provinces of NL.
Its a farming area but at first we moved to a seaside town pop 25,000 from there we went to a village of just 600 people. I have to say with the village there came the problems of regional languge which Ive never really learned to speak although I understand and can read it.
Eevryone was related to everyone else and they didnt really accept outsiders easily. The smell of pig was sometimes overpowering and the mud of the winter months meant my children lived in welly boots.

When the children started secondary school the cost of bus travel was as much as the cost of the mortgage! So we upped and moved again this time to the main town of the province pop 110,000. Birth place of Mata Hari.

What do I love? The innocence of people, many still leave their back doors unlocked, everyone talks to everyone. The relaxed attitude of everyone its very laid back.
The open countryside on my doorstep and all the facilties of the city just a few minutes walk away.

Hate, the fact its growing changing becoming more and more like the the London suburb I left behind.

Plans for the future? Staying in NL most likely this province although I dont mind Drenthe but to a medium sized town 5-10,000.

What do I regret about moving here? The fact we didnt do it earlier…

Hi

I haven’t gone yet, but if I do, it will be Piotrków Trybunalski in Poland.

A very beautiful town, loads of open squares, reminds me of Italy, in summer at least.

Stunning summer weather, but very cold in Winter.

It is remarkably clean and tidy, no rubbish on the pavement, no dog poo either.

Ten minutes by car from stunning forests, deer, wild boar and loads of beavers.

It is also ludicrously cheap to live there.

Emigrated to S. Africa in the 80’s loved the country and the African people.
I wish I could have stayed but, circumstances forced me to come back to the UK.

Gosh looking at all your big moves mine seems insignificant, I moved out of a big city to a more rural environment and from a modern house to a 300yr old property. I should have done it years ago, I miss nothing of the big city, especially traffic.

Was offered a job in Slovakia back in the 70s, because it meant returning home, doing a crash language course, applying for a work permit etc, etc, it was too much hassle and I turned it down. Had I known then what I subsequently found out, I should have taken that job!!!

Lived in Greece during the 70’s when it was under the Military Junta. Pretty horrible to be honest.

Earned £20 a month and paid £11 a month for rent. Not much left to buy food , bus fares to work or anything else. Had to attend the police station every so often, to get permission to stay longer. People couldn’t run in the streets, or whistle or sing in the streets, no gambling, like poker etc. allowed anywhere (even in your own home ).

Couldn’t wait to get home and then realised how lucky we were in this country, and how lucky we still are in comparison.

People who knock this country really need to travel more. Some of the places I went to , the word ‘poverty’ had a totally different meaning, to those who constantly complain about the ’ poverty’ here in UK.

Spent 6 months in NZ. Nice ,young relaxed country. We could have emigrated but decided not to as family meant more to me.

Lived in Kent, and Suffolk . Can’t say I’d like to go back to either. Happy now and content.

I moved to Greece in 1979,a bit later than Puddle Duck. I must admit that life in central Athens was very hectic and crowded, I come from a small rural town in Lancashire. The people were very hospitable and friendly, a bit too much at times.
I watched Athens turn into a really modern city over the years, there were many things that it was behind the times with. I am now living in a very rural suburb, vineyards surround me and the area is extremely quiet. No matter how under the weather I am,I know the sun will be shining soon and it always picks me up.
Regrets? No, I have no regrets. I do thoroughly enjoy going back to my home town but couldn’t move back permanently because of the bad weather.

It´s nice to know you are happy where you are. We too are very content here in Spain. We moved from UK to Africa for a couple of years then here to Spain. We have been here now almost 17 years, seen very many changes, almost all for the better and are very happy here. It´s nice living amongst different nationalities, we also have friends from UK living here too, some really close by and others perhaps an hour´s drive away. Even our old next door neighbours from UK live an hour or so, by car, away from us. We have no regrets either.

we moved to Spain over ten years ago when we retired

We love it here and had been planning to come and live here since 1986 when we bought our first property

Since then we have moved more times here than in England

Whats not to like the weather is great food is fairly cheap sorry inexpensive great friends both English and Spanish

The health system works

Will we be leaving anytime soon? No

Do I miss England not one bit

moved to bavaria

hello everyone I don’t usually write much in forums so sorry if I make a mistake or something. I lived in Sweden in the seventies for a year and always always wanted to live in Europe again. I spent a lot of time on archaeological digs around the world, bicycled through Europe for three months and then eight months travelling around the world in the eighties and nineties. For a while I drove a semi truck around the U.S. and saw most of our beautiful states. Now I am in Bavaria which was a surprise because I never thought it was affordable to live here. It is no fun in the U.S. and hasn’t been for a very long time, jobs are hard to come by and its dangerous. Even in Minnesota which was always a very nice state to live in. i’m curious about living in other parts of Europe as well or other parts of the world. My fifties have been far more interesting than any decade of my life I want to see as many places as I can and live in different places.

Ive got a flat to rent in Sunny Scotland if you’re interested!

Bit like a reply from a benefit claimant being offered a job.

O it means I have to get up before 10 O clock in the morning

O it means I have take a 10 minute train/bus journey.

O it means I should never look a gift horse in the mouth.

Were these your excuses for laying in bed all day??? Some of us were working. At the time I was commuting to and from London AND doing voluntary work too!!!

I live in the U.K. and wish I didn’t .
I am an alien in my own land.

has anyone tried India for the winter, i normally go in october till april

We lived in Portugal 2001-2006. Had a fabulous time: cheap wine, cigarettes, eating out. And of course the weather, beautiful scenery, beautiful people.

But, with all its faults, we missed London.

i would like to try it its so exotic .

never mind exotic is warm, every single day, the food is amazing, i have pork-chop an chips at least once a week…lol

P.S. i also take an IPTV stick so i get to watch all my fav shows… footie boxing ect.