When was your last walk/hike?

That’s fascinating! :smiley:

1 Like

One of the places we passed on the way was Casterton Grange - at the time, the new owner was rebuilding and refurbishing it but he was more than happy to take a break and have a chat about his progress:

It seems that he’s now put it up for sale:

2 Likes

Now that is a lovely building! Inside is absolutely stunning! The page linking to the sake is gone now, so somebody snapped it up. Likely for a few million! Its gorgeous though, with the grounds and everything :+1:

1 Like

This was it from the air some years ago:

The “square” on the right was where we usually bumped into the owner - he was building a Victorian walled garden.

More history on the house:

Casterton Grange was built for Rev. David Barclay Bevan, of Walthamstow in Essex, a vicar from a wealthy family who during a long life had 11 children by 4 wives, but it is the first marriage that appears significant in the story of Casterton Grange.

This was the marriage to Agnes Carus-Wilson, daughter of the founder of the Clergy Daughter’s School, and took place in 1837 in Casterton church, which had been built only a few years earlier by the bride’s father. The land on which the Grange was built was probably part of Carus Wilson’s Casterton Hall estate, and the construction was finished in 1848.

Bevan had been vicar of Skerton, Lancaster since 1840 and it’s not clear where he lived during that period, but from 1843-1857, during which time the Grange was built, he was Rector of Burton Latimer in Northamptonshire. It is said that Bevan and his wife lived at Burrow Hall whilst in Westmorland during the time the house was actually being built. Of their 6 children only Emily was born in Casterton, presumably at the in-laws house in since this was 8 years before the building of The Grange.

By the 1851 census the head of the house was Margaret Thwaites, and Bevan’s name never appears in any of the census returns or electoral roles for Casterton.

So having built a fine house in his wife’s home village, it seems that Casterton Grange was never his main residence, and it may be that the Bevan family did not spend any appreciable period of time living there.

Agnes died in 1855 in Kettering but is buried in the family vault in Holy Trinity Casterton, and there is a memorial plaque on the wall of the nave.

Amazing to think that a vicar had the wealth to sustain multiple houses, multiple wives and multiple children in multiple locations … :exclamation:

2 Likes

Hi

A different view of life.

I managed to drive to the cashpoint at Morrisons on my own and then managed to walk around Lidle on my own.

I am very, very, happy.

3 Likes

Exactly what I was thinking… :astonished:

1 Like

If you ever watched the 1995 version of “Pride and Prejudice” you’ll remember Mr William Collins, the sycophantic dimwitted clergyman - AFAIK, he was more typical of the time, desperate to acquire a “living” and, equally, a wife, preferably with an “estate” … :scream_cat:

Today…about 49 walkers, about 5 miles, and 3.5 hours.

Processing: All Around Stenbury 17.10.21 (2).xlsx…

3 Likes

I completed a hike recently. Here’s a short clip and some pictures!

https://youtube.com/shorts/fzY7znzu8Pw?si=fQZJ2IasUUzbLPeW

1 Like

A few pics

6 Likes

Thanks for sharing @Minx
I go out 2 sometimes 3 times a week walking . i shall do a short video , next time .

to day i walked round my garden and took a video , im feeling abit achey so spent the morning in bed , slept a little .

2 Likes

Every day for an hour hour twice a day with the dog.

1 Like

That was so lovely Eliza. It reminded me of a mindfulness walk around a garden at a Yoga retreat I went on in Croatia.

1 Like

Absolutely stunning garden Eliza and I just adore your voice :hugs:

1 Like

@Minks thank you . @AnnieS Thank you Annie .

2 Likes

3 Likes

I walk my 2 dogs 4 times a day for about a quarter of an hour each time.

We sometimes go to beoley village not far from where we live in Redditch.
This isn’t me.

3 Likes

I walk the dog every morning but not near canal/river banks!

1 Like

Usually about an hour in the morning then another half hour later…

4 Likes

Mine was probably Leeds castle a couple of weeks ago

3 Likes