When is the NI. deadline?

Has the proposed NI “deadline” passed allready ?? It seems to be a long time since we heard anymore
about what the EU has in store for us ??
We still have lots of loose ends to tie up yet !!
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

I understand the deadline is the end of this month. On October 1st we should start applying the same rules to EU stuff being imported into the UK.

@Percy_Vere Ah, l thought it was time Percy! Thanks for the info !!
I’ve been trying to find out what Frosty has been doing? The best l could come up with was that they
are trying to prevent any more extensions to deadlines,( they call it rolling deadlines) ??
So it looks to me that we might be entering a few years of permanent negotiations instead of
actually solving the problem by just cancelling the so called agreement that Boris signed ??
Donkeyman! :-1::-1:

That’s what it’s beginning to look like to me. There’s an awful lot of waffle in today’s DE about what’s not/what is happening regarding the various “negotiations” between us and the EU including the fact that we’ve effectively told them “Thanks for thinking about asking us to rejoin Galeleo but we want absolutely no part of it.”

It looks like things are winding up again politically after the summer break because Madrid is sabre-rattling over Gibraltar, Paris is swinging its bits about fishing rights off Jersey, and the EU commissariat is starting to find fault with medications bound for N. Ireland again.

1 Like

Yes, I heard some time ago that we were in the process of developing our own version of Galileo, and that this was mooted to be a superior system to the EU’s system. I wonder how this is going on.

All of this sounds to me like some of the EU members, especially the Diegos and the Frogs, are continuing to dig away at us as best they can in the forlorn hope of punishing us for leaving their club and removing the cash cow they have relied on for so many years.

@Percy_Vere , Trouble is l detect the stirrings of Remainerism in the ruling party recently ?
The May woman is daring to speak in parliament again , and it seems that the word BREXIT has
been banned in government circles ??
I wouldn’t be surprised if someone doesn’t propose some roundabout way to rejoin the club !!
Donkeyman! :-1::-1:

I sincerely hope not. Bearing in mind the majority voted to leave in 2016 and I believe numbers have increased since then, I think the Tories would be shooting themselves in the foot.
Of course, there always have been many remoaners in the government, not just Treason May. I think that’s one reason why Boris didn’t dare to pull us out of the EU in the first place. Typically, he was trying to keep everyone happy, which in actuality kept absolutely no-one happy!
If he wants to keep his job, he’d be well advised to grow a pair.

On the plus side, Macron has once again failed in his attempt to get French to be used in the EU parliament. The latest country to give him the middle finger is Finland, who have stated that all of their business will be conducted in English. :lol:

Really?
:104:
https://forum.over50schat.com/t/moderating-guidelines/84156
I will very politely request that you read the section “Dealing with bigoted remarks/slurs” and thus give you the opportunity to consider your choice of wording.
:innocent:

On what grounds does he hope to get that passed?
Apart from France, only half of the Belgians and a third of the Swiss speak French.
Compared to that, most countries in the EU refer to English as their second language, though admittedly that’s largely down to America rather than us!

This comes just a day or two after it emeged that Frost & Sefcovic haven’t been in touch with each other since July and since the FT reported UK lawyers as okaying the UK’s suggestion of rewriting part of the Brexit agreement.
Fun times ahead maybe but given that the EU obviously made a mess of their contract with AstraZeneca judging by their recent cave-in, I for one am not going to set great store by their wording of the Brexit agreement and especially when Frost & co. insisted upon and got a get-out clause in the case of Northern Ireland.

@Zaphod , I just wish they’d get on with it then !!
This time wasting can only play into the EU’s hands!!
And they know it !
Donkeyman! :worried::worried:

There does not seem to be a problem in the trade between Gibraltar and Spain.
Why is there a problem with NI, Eire and the rest of the UK?

EU bloody-mindedness. They hate us, their cash cow, for leaving!

Hi

A simple fact of life.

Boris signed on the line to this on behalf of the UK.

He boasted that it was his oven ready Brexit and a great victory over the EU.

The EU will hold him to account over this and for good reasons.

Under WTO Rules they would have to apply the same to everyone else, which means the end of the Single Market.

Boris desperately wanted to be PM. he has lied his way to it.

Boris is not another Maggie, everything is about him.

I see it as the opposite and the EU playing straight into our hands.
Why, you may ask?
It’s simple really.
Refusal by the EU to allow normal trade here in the UK as happens within every major country gives the UK a significant advantage both legally and morally.
Not one other major country country allows such an external influence and/or dictation over internal matters; none.
As such it could be widely regarded as actually encouraging the UK to invoke Article 16 and more besides, but even without that there’s no way that anybody could reasonably argue against the UK in effect just saying “nope, we’re not doing that”.
Other than the EU of course and apart from their posturing and bluster I suspect that they know there’s really bu@@er-all they could do if we told them politely to go away.
:wink:

There are other as yet unresolved problems re: Gibraltar but why with NI?
The only reason that makes any sense is that the EU is desperate to retain some degree of control over another non-EU country.
They obviously don’t care about the inhabitants of the island of Ireland despite suggestions to the contrary, so I’m struggling to see any other logical explanation.

Absolutely.
As I have said many times, Boris has let us down and sold us out to the EU.
I shall never trust him again.
What is worse is that there appear to be many remoaners in his party, not only May. Consequently, I can never trust his party again.
The unfortunate thing is that none of the other established parties are any better, and I think Boris knows that so is resting on his laurels.
As far as I’m concerned, there remains only Reform UK worthy of my vote.
Sadly, the majority of British people are, and always have been, frightened to risk voting for an unknown party. Boris no doubt knows that too!
Nevertheless, that is who I shall vote for in 2024 and just hope that other like-minded people do the same.

@Zaphod , So, that is exactly why l say " l wish they would get on with it" ?
Excessive delay leads to " voter fatigue" !!
More time equals , more time for voting swings ??
The EU is playing the long game !!
We need to show the benefits of leaving,( where are they?)
Fishing is in limbo !
We still depend on EU Imports and rely on EU supply chains etc !
Boris had all this within his grasp at the end of negotiations but gave it all
back when he signed the agreement !!
Frosty must have been devasted !
Donkeyman! :worried::worried:

The only “game” that the EU seems to be playing re: NI is their favourite one of recent times, namely that of shooting themselves in the foot.

You might wish that they “got on with it” but softly, softly, catchee monkey as the old adage says.
Nobody seriously ever thought that 50-odd years of creeping integration could ever be mutually and satisfactorily resolved quickly, surely?

Hi

Frost was not devastated, he is the fall Guy for Boris.

He has gone from a very average Civil Servant, to a Lord, keeping his Pension and now a huge amount of expenses, the expenses being Tax Free.

It has cost Boris nothing, he is very good at giving our money to others.