When is the NI. deadline?

@swimfeeders , You could be right Swimmy ?
I also have my doubts about all the politicians ??
But Frosty had spent a whole month saying no to Barnier and then Boris
intervened ??
Maybe l should have said " l was devastated" ?
Donkeyman! :worried::worried:

I agree. We do indeed need to show the benefits of leaving the EU.
As far as I’m concerned, the one overriding benefit is that we have now officially left the EU and regained our sovereignty.
Unfortunately, as you point out, we are still under the influence of the EU in several ways. For that I blame Boris and believe that he was just too weak to take the big step. Surely, he must now realise that his lack of balls has lost him much of his support from ordinary voters. A strong PM would have stood up to those members of his party who are obvious remainers, on the grounds that he is following the demands made by the majority of the electorate.
I heard only yesterday on GB News, an interviewee stating that he believes that, despite a loss of support by the people, Boris will remain as PM beyond the next GE. He may be right, but if so I’m sure it will be with a much smaller majority, and I will be one of those whose votes he has lost.

Sadly, I fear you are right, but not for the reasons you state. The 1st year the Blair creature won a majority (1997) he had 355 seat majority, in 2001 this had fallen to 165 and, in 2005 he had a 30 seat majority.

I am waiting to see what happens on October 1st when we start applying the same rules on EU imports as they are applying to our exports to them and NI. As soon as those start to bite I can imagine that UVdL and her cronies will be on Sefcovic’s back telling him to get a bluddy move on and sort things out.

Hope so.

Those who are able to read The Times (it’s subscription-only unless you have other means to read their content such as a free trial perhaps) will see in today’s edition a report entitled " Food import crisis is looming, warns M&S".
They’re worried that next month sees the new rules commence and they say that it will affect imports from the EU because “One of the concerns they raised was that in some member states the offices that issue export health certificates, which are required for trade in animal food products, only operate during office hours from Monday to Friday.”
And the industry is a 24/7 industry.

Here’s the thing though; everybody whether in the UK or in the EU that has anything at all to do with importing or exporting between the two has known about this since January (if not even earlier if you look at such things logically).
Why wait until the last minute before whinging instead of using the intervening time to make provisions for what you must know is coming?
:man_shrugging:

@Zaphod Exactly the incentive we need to force our importers to shift
their suppliers Zaphod !?
Change cannot happen without disruption unfortunately !!
That’s why l say get on with it, get it over !!
Donkeyman! :+1::thinking::thinking::+1:

It seems the NI Protocol can has been kicked down the road again until at least the end of December.

Let’s all hear it for prevarication. The linked article says the EU has caved in, cobblers says I. I think they’re just playing their silly games again.

I understand where you’re coming from, really I do and I even agree with some of what you’re saying there.
And it would be great to have a “clean break”-type fresh start and get things over and done with.
But be realistic.
There’s absolutely no way can 40+ years of insidious, creeping integration be resolved to mutual satisfaction quickly - and especially not when you’re dealing with the glacially-slow EU.

@Percy_Vere - yes, I too think that the EU are playing silly beggars BUT let’s see how things progress when the UK implements the planned changes next month because if UK-bound imports from the EU suffer as it looks like they will it won’t be long until we see some reaction.

I don’t think the planned changes will be implemented now because of this so-called “cave in”. The changes will be shelved until January 1st at the earliest I suspect and then probably March 1st 2022, etc.

I suppose that there’s a possibility of that but given we’re already in September and these changes start on 1st October I doubt it because it’s too late.
Isn’t it?
:man_shrugging:
It looks like some companies like M&S above were hoping the changes would be pushed back again and hence stories like my earlier link, but importers have been warned and these changes have to happen at some time.
https://www.getreadyforbrexit.eu/en/at-the-uk-border-2/

Hi

We are not going to win this.

Boris signed up to a deal which put the EU in Charge.

He cannot evade this, he has let us down.

“Win”?
If there is such a thing as “winning” when dealing with other countries we’ve already won, but outside of wars there isn’t.
:wink:
We’re doing okay in terms of growth & employment unlike you-know-who; we’re seeing huge foreign investment and continuing home-grown innovation; because of our success with vaccines our economy and society is opening up faster than many others; and lots more besides but if you’re determined not to pay attention to any of that I suppose you would see it as being let down.

Personally I’m extremely grateful to have left the EU because IMHO it is they that continue to let their citizens down.

1 Like

Oh dear.
It looks like stormy waters still lay ahead.

I think you’re right on the money, Zaphod. There is so much about this on the news, on line, in various newspapers. It’s even getting a mention in the US-based National Post: DUP threatens to collapse N.Ireland government over Brexit checks | National Post

It puts pressure on the EU as the ones insisting upon what the DUP are objecting to.
IMHO the EU can’t profess to have the best interests of the whole island of Ireland at heart and at the same time ignore the needs of a huge number of Northern Irish by trying to impose an unwanted & significant change to the island.

"Frost raised the prospect of triggering “Article 16” of the protocol, which allows either side to dispense with its terms if they are proving unexpectedly harmful.

“They would be making a significant mistake if they thought that we were not ready to use Article 16 safeguards, if that were to be the only apparent way forward to deal with the situation in front of us,” he said at the House of Lords.

“If we are to avoid this situation, there needs to be a real negotiation between us and the EU.”

And France & Germany have EXPLODED because of his comments according to today’s DE. Oh dear, my sides are aching from laughing so much :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

1 Like

Aren’t we just joining other clubs right now? out of the frying pan into another frying pan…or is it a fajita sizzler or is it a wok?

Not in the same way though because these clubs are all subscription-free.
:wink: