What's wrong with Formula one?

You know … I could get to like you B.

Just watch out for his pole position. :shock:

No one has told me what a wum is?

It means Wind Up Merchant, … which I am not… well not always. :wink:

Thanks, did you really not know about the starting positions in F1?

Of course I did… :wink:

But, it does seem a bit silly when you think about it. If you are slowest, you are put at the back. :-p

I never really thought about it. The better drivers could easily overtake the slower in most race tracks, but it could be a H&S thing, before that was invented, might cause more crashes.
In Marathons & other running races the contestants line up as in F1, best at the front.

Well that’s how pole is decided, there’s not really a feasible way to do it another way, otherwise you would have teams not bothering to go out during qualifying, there are no ‘slow’ drivers in f1, only the cars,

I agree.

Slower cars and some with reliability issues. And some bumping and bashing which is what happened between Vettel and Hamilton in that last race. That, you could say, gifted Hamilton the win.

Yes but that’s racing, shame Kimi didn’t win, he’s normally very good at managing his tyres but he desperately wanted that win, desperate driving for a man about to retire from f1 methinks …

Some forms of racing have time trials and then reverse the top 10 finishers from the trials. Every driver wants to be at least in the top 10 and therefore doesn’t dare to “sandbag” in the trials. And it would be almost impossible not to go all out as if you did try backing off a bit, you might finish 15th or 18th and that’s where you’d start.

Run flat out in the time trials and the worst you’d get is a 10th starting slot even if you do happen to finish first.

You may be right.
I am a numbers man. The speeds, the powers, the g forces are awesome.

But sometimes numbers put it into perspective. For example. pole and second place may be decided by one tenth of a second. At an average speed of 200kph that would equate to about one car length over a typical lap. That’s how close it is.

That’s essentially what qualifying is, a time trial, but there are penalties for engine/gearbox changes, which can result in drivers starting at the back, so they deem it pointless to attempt qualifying as they will be at the back, the only advantage is they can choose which tyres to start on

What’s happened to F1? The same thing that has happened to Football, Cricket, Tennis and is happening in most other sports. Money. The ones who are successful are the ones with the deepest pockets or wealthiest sponsors.

Big money has ruined sport. we are at the stage now for example where some of the biggest premiership teams are so profitable they reckon they don’t need supporters at all. shame really.

Good post Rainmaker, and very true…:023:
Would it be doable if all the teams in formula 1 were allowed the same budget?

A budget cap has been discussed.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/135213/150m-budget-cap-not-achievable–mercedes

:023: Sums it up nicely … you’ve got it in a nutshell.

Um…
The Ferrari budget is about £100m greater than Mercedes Benz

Can’t take to Hamilton as a person,but as a driver he is the best at the moment.