What's the prettiest song you've heard?

Saw this on Reddit and thought it might be fun. {Click on the word this for some ideas from Reddit}

What’s the prettiest song you’ve heard?

I like Scarborough Fair by Simon and Garfunkel

6 Likes

For me, it has to be Blue Spanish Eyes sung by Englebert Humperdinck (Arnold George Dorsey). Going back a lifetime when I was part-time centre stage in cabaret, it was one of the most requested songs I sang. The ladies adored it :sparkling_heart: Even now, it will raise my back hair when I hear it on the spinner … it truly is a ‘pretty’ song :+1:

4 Likes
1 Like

Although she is not a forum member, my wife has asked me to add her ‘pretty’ song.
This again is one of Humperdinck’s and another I used to sing. If my wife was there, I would make sure this was sung and she was given the single rose I carried.
On The Wings Of A Silverbird

1 Like

Afton Water

1 Like

You may be unaware that Paul Simon copied the song, in it’s entirely, from British folk singer Martin Carthy. Simon had left the USA (and Art Garfunkel) after “Wednesday Morning, 3 A.M.” failed to achieve any material success. In London, he finished his first solo album “The Paul Simon Songbook”, met Martin Carthy and plagiarised the arrangement of the song, which then appeared on “Parsley, Sage, Rosemary and Thyme” (1966). Along with Art Garfunkel, Simon claimed credit for the arrangement. Martin Carthy received no credit and no royalties.

Anyway, here’s Martin’s version from “Martin Carthy” (1965):

Before Simon learned the song, Bob Dylan had “borrowed” the melody and several lines from Carthy’s arrangement to create his song “Girl from the North Country”.

The song is, of course, “traditional” - Martin himself learnt it from a Ewan McColl/Peggy Seeger songbook - but the lack of acknowledgement of the arrangement from Simon rankled with Martin for years afterward.

Simon went on to plagiarise other artists’ works without acknowledgement (as in “Graceland”). There’s no doubt that the man is talented but his musical morals are suspect.

Spot on Omar. As fellow Londoner, I met him when he started out as a small-time performer and almost asked him to join my growing band, but I was not so sure a folk type of singer would complement my existing band members. I think his daughter is still in the folk music scene.

1 Like

This may not be “pretty” but, to me, it’s starkly beautiful, hypnotic and evocative:

:sunglasses:

started another thread

1 Like

I know all that … but it goes way off-topic … :slightly_smiling_face:

Try this one:

1 Like

Good idea … :023:

I’ve heard both versions in Greek, it’s just enchanting!

2 Likes
1 Like

Loads of interesting choices both here and on the Reddit thingy

Pretty doesn’t have to be great music

“Pretty” to me means attractive, young, light hearted, happy, fun, (romantic maybes?)

I think there are some good Disney ones like that, “I know you” , Beauty and the Beast, Bella Notte, those sort

And some Irish music, The Rose of Tralee is pretty, I think?

I’ve always liked this one, it’s gentle and pleasant and reminds me of summer and his guitar picking is very pretty

3 Likes
2 Likes

Wild Mountain Thyme

1 Like