What's something you got away with as a child that your parents never found out about?

When I was about 7 or 8 maybe, my brother and I were hanging out in the basement. My older brother was playing with matches. A piece of paper caught on fire. We were able to get it into a trash can and put out the fire. I never heard about it again.

What’s something you should not have been doing as a child but never got caught by your parents?

We had an elderly lady named Ada living next door to us,she was really lovely.
I was around 9/10 i think,and she said she had never had milk tray chocolates,so i gave her some of mom`s,about 4 i think,they were given to mom on Valentines day from my dad.
T o my knowledge,mom or dad never found out.

2 Likes

Just about everything! I was a wild little girl hanging out with my brother and his friends and they were 5 years older than me

And I was particularly stroppy and horrible teenager

They would have had fifty fits if they knew what I got up to and survived

“Running the roofs” was my favourite. There was a big posh enclosed housing complex near us. In the middle of it were long blocks of residents garages. The way they were built meant if you climbed on top you could run across them leaping from roof to roof, usually with the caretaker after you :rofl:

Really dangerous, there were lots of bruises and sprained ankles etc as a result in our gang, I remember, but not me so much, I was nippy🏃‍♀️Never got caught either

Naughty, but when I think back, we invented Parkour!

2 Likes

Playing with my Salter chemistry set when I was trusted not to use it unsupervised.
I set fire to my hands with the little meths burner…could have been worse… quite scary in retrospect.

2 Likes

You were cooking meth?! :wink:

1 Like

Well except for hanging around with boys,i was pretty much doing the same as you Maree.
I was a proper tomboy,to the degree that i was taken to hospital numerous times,broken wrist,cut my leg open,needed 36 stitches,climbed on the church roof fell off cut my head open more stitches,then climbed on a factory roof and fell through it,had to climb up the drainpipe to get out even more stitches.
We got to know the hospital staff very well.
I don`t remember the transition from tomboy to young woman lol.
|Thank god my parents were so lovely and understanding.

1 Like

It was a long time ago… that homemade angel dust plays havoc with the memory :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Too many to remember. Lit fires, climbed trees, pulled lead roofs off the farm buildings, nicked one of the farm tractors…

2 Likes

Going in the pub at 14 and pretending to be 18. And the same with X rated films at the cinema :scream:

2 Likes

No chance of pretending to be 18 again… not many X films showing in the local flea pit either, zero chance of being refused admission to see a AA film because I look under 14… isn’t life strange :wink:

Blimey,and i thought scrumpy was naughty Besoeker.
You little devil you. :scream:

Bluddy nora Maree,just choked on my viennese whirl. :rofl:

1 Like

I got away with lots of things. I was a tomboy scamp!

1 Like

I started smoking when I was quite young.Neither of them did.Oh ! and we used to steal them from the local shop.

2 Likes

The year was 1944 I was 13 years old and robot flying bombs aka doodle bugs were raining down on Southern England. On the way home from school during raids I did not go into a shelter. Instead, I collected pieces of warm shrapnel to add to my collection. I did not tell my mother what I had done. I thought I was invincible. Not for the first time in my life I was extremely lucky.

3 Likes

Luck must shine on you. That was extremely risky.

The entire box or just singles?

Chucking lumps of Bazooka Joe bubblegum on the heads of unwary tourists in Park Lane.
I have much affection for the old 137 route.

I thought you’d be too young to know about singles.
Yes ,they were easier of course :grinning:

Nah, I’m an old lady. Over the hill soon.