Whats in store for you

With the better weather to look forward to ,whats your plans for this Spring and Summer …?

Last month one of my Birthday Presants was a Carriage ride round A Country Estate, Im waiting for the better weather and when my Daughter visits so we can go as a Family …

Id love to hear your plans

3 Likes

Plan A, and if it rains plan B

1 Like

I was hoping to get out with my camera and maybe take a few pics, but the weather is cloudy with poor light. So I’m resigned myself to day to watch Tv and drink coffee.

2 Likes

At my age, make it through to another winter :+1:

2 Likes

Yes, I have plans, but people who know me will tell you that I am much better at making plans than actually doing them, something I readily admit … but not this year of course!

I used to do a lot of hiking & backpacking, but age, arthritis, and statin side effects have stopped most of that, but I have a low mileage car, a bus pass, and a different approach

During The Lockdown I realised that the Britain I knew is being lost - to HS2, town centres dying, pubs closing, the Manchester I knew has been destroyed by the planners, the council, and the developers, and I expect the same applies to many other places, housing on green field sites, being made to feel ashamed of British history and culture, and so on
No, I know you can’t keep everything, but there is a difference between careful renovation and wholesale destruction
And all this would appear to be encouraged, or at least condoned, by politicians of all parties

So I’m doing something I’m calling ‘Looking at England’ (Apologies to Wales etc, but there is so much to do …)

I’m going to go cruising around looking at museums, stately homes, cathedrals (even though I’m an atheist) castles, pretty villages, steam gatherings etc, etc, etc,
Not just the nice parts and countryside either, I’ll include 2 up 2 down terraced streets, industrial areas and abandoned canals as well
I’ve never been to Somerset, Wiltshire, or Devon, and I’ll have a look at Glastonbury, to see what all the fuss is about … and I’ve never been to Berwick on Tweed either … or seen much of East Anglia, apart from a couple of air shows …

…you get the idea?

4 Likes

@zuludog
Brilliant plan Zulu , Its something I did for years , soaking up the Cities , Museum , Churchs , infact all what you mentioned , I often look back on all the photos and videos ive taken , USB pens filled up , these are my memories I can pull out when I get bored or want to relive that place again …
Im a solo carer of my Dog and so im a bit limited now of how long I can be away from home ,
but God willing I might get to do a few more Trips ,
If you take any photos or videos I hope you will share them

:smiley:Yes I get the Idea

@LongDriver
I know the feeling LD , lifes a lottery we never know , so make the most of every day …

1 Like

I’m dog sitting at the end of February for my daughter in Canberra. I want to get out and about with my camper in March (keep putting it back).

My daughter, SiL and I are thinking about a trip to Uluru in September/October but we have yet to make plans. Might include Darwin in that trip

1 Like

you have a lot planned Bruce , You Dog sitting again , your family must love having you to sit for them .

Well, I owned dogs most of my adult life, Doberman, Red Setter, German Shepherds and Border Collies so I enjoy looking after them, these days they are like my grandkids I like giving them back to their “parents” by the end. I am not sure how long I can keep doing it - this one is a big dog, it could knock me over or pull me off my feet.

I go for a 5km (ish) walk each morning so the dog gets a walk too. This time they are going to a National Park where dogs are not allowed, it is only for a long weekend.

The rest are just plans they may or may not happen, weather has spoilt plans in the past or something else may crop up - for example my Christmas Cruise was a very last minute thing.

1 Like

I started a new hobby in 2021…‘Trig Point Bagging’ There are over two thousand trig points scattered around the UK and I decided to try and visit them all. Due to a life of fell running and walking, I’ve visited many of them, but unfortunately that doesn’t count, so I have to do them again and obtain a photo of the pillar and it’s number…
I managed 21 in 2021, but last year was a poor year for some reason (probably due to a heart problem) so I bagged just two while on holiday in North Wales.
They are in some very unusual places and some are secluded and hard to find, but Its a unique excitement when you discover one that has been lost in the wilderness, and its nice just to pause for a moment and soak up the silence and remoteness of the really wild ones…

4 Likes

Good for you OGF, best of luck!

You do realise that if you want to do them all that will mean lots of big hills, including many Munros?
And as you say, lots of travelling

Have fun!

1 Like

Sounds good to me OGF, Ive done a couple Mam Tor , Have you thought of doing GeoCache ?

1 Like

A long anticipated visit to Highgate Cemetery.
I don’t intend to overstay my welcome.

1 Like

@Chilliboot remind me where Highgate is , and tell us why you are going there ?please

I have a taste for the gothic, it was something special to be allowed to stay up and watch a horror double bill on the box during the early 70’s. There were times when I wished I hadn’t but that was what it was all about.

Combine that with an interest in London history, tradition and nature then Highgate Cemetery is somewhere worthy of a visit. I really should have done it by now.

There’s always Crossbones in Southwark to consider too since we’re on a cheery theme .

2 Likes

Enjoy your visit Chilli…

1 Like

I’ve kicked around for a few years and have visited a few historical places. Many are famous and some not so much. One that fascinated me for the St Andrew’s bottle dungeon around 1450. The prisoners were simply dropped into a 24-ft hole so they could ignored or forgotten…

1 Like

Isn’t that where Karl Marx is buried? I probably still have a photo of that somewhere (like a film photo) taken in the late 60s/early 70s.

2 Likes

Thanks Zuludog. Because of age and fitness limitations I have had to make a few rules…
I think there are over 13,000 registered trig points of various designs including: Pillars, church steeples, beacons, tall buildings to name but a few…So I’ve limited my search to pillars.
There are 7111 pillars distributed around the British Isles. So I’ve limited it once more to just
Mainland England and perhaps Wales. No offence to Scotland, but travel to the highlands is economically prohibitive. And because trig points are located mostly on the top of steep hills and mountains, Munro’s might be a tad outside my physical range…But never say never!
That leaves about 2000 to be working on…We’ll see how I get on…