Whatever Happened To That Wedding Dress?

I said earlier that I hired my wedding dress. I also hired a veil and little tiara from the same shop. I did buy white shoes though.

I might be a bit weird but I felt no emotional attachment to the dress and just took it back to the shop a few days later.

It was a January wedding and the photos taken outside were like scenes from Wuthering Heights.:rofl: The sky was almost navy blue and a storm was approaching over the sea.

We have been married 45 years.

2 Likes

This is my wedding dress, it cost Ā£39 in the sale at Selfridges. I think it was about Ā£100 plus normally. This was a lot in those days when my wage was about Ā£7 a week.

Excuse my eyes being shut in the pic, l mustā€™ve been nodding off or looking at my husband lovingly! :laughing:

4 Likes

Aww @Mups and @Artangel
You both looked stunning xx

4 Likes

Thanks Rhian. x

Wow, what a babe!

1 Like

Ted, I had to look up ā€œbunged.ā€

I love these wedding photos!

My gown is unceremoniously folded up and zipped into one of those bags that comes with comforters (duvets).

I absolutely adore this photo! Everything about their expressions and their body language says they are relaxed and crazy about each other. :heart:

1 Like

Hi SM!

Yes, in London they might say ā€œIā€™ll put this dress away in the Cupboardā€.

Whereas, a Northerner would use proper English and say, ā€œIā€™ll just bung it in 'ereā€

The Bridal Outfit That Never Was!

I didnā€™t have much luck at the Bridal Shops. Iā€™d no one to go with me (thereā€™s a long story here but I wonā€™t say).

Third shop, found exactly what I wanted. Tried on and chose, dress, shoes and veil with attachments to change headdress of flowers to afterwards diamond circlet.

I was overjoyed at my choices and bought it all. My pickup date was 2 days before my wedding. After the first two shops where one was full of rude people and the second one who refused to let me try what I wanted, I was very nervousā€¦

Even though Iā€™d all required, even two garters free, I worried at the giggling girls at the sales counter.

I left to go home and drown my sorrows. 30 May came up and I went to pickup my outfit.

Disasters! The giggling girls had been fired. However, I never received what Iā€™d chosen. The manageress was heartfelt but nothing could be done, it was too late. The fired girls had changed the order numbers on nearly 20 brides just for fun. As myself, they were marrying in June. So, I never wore it, nor the veil or the shoes.

What I got was given to charity in 2019, the ugly dress, the shoes and the too short veil. The only souvenirs are my silk roses headdress, my diamond circlet and my silk roses bouquetl

I must have missed this thread. I had two outfits.

My initial wedding dress (white) was hired. I was also ā€˜instructedā€™ to change for the reception into traditional clothing since my kids father was Hindu - the writing was on the wall - I just wasnā€™t lookingā€¦ :069:

Iā€™m blessed with two beautiful kids so it wasnā€™t all bad. :001:

6 Likes

The Hindu one is very stylish though.

2 Likes

I think the Sari was absolutely lovely you should have worn that all day (just my opinion)

3 Likes

You looked more beautiful in the sari .

2 Likes

I threw mine in the skip when we divorced and was clearing the house out.
The neighbours thought it was hilarious,and very typical of me.

Gave it away when we split up. End of an era and wanted a clean start. Sooooo the lot went.

It was the first time Iā€™d ever wore a silk sari and it was very heavy. I couldnā€™t really walk either. Quite cumbersome but thank you.

1 Like

Those of us lucky enough to be blessed with children are indeed blessed in every sense of the word. My four fantastic and cherished daughters all gave me grandchildren, so I consider myself very fortunate and extremely lucky.
When your children eventually provide you with grandchildren, I hope you will understand why I revel in my good fortune :+1:

1 Like

It is a great privilege to have children .
I miss mine not just the men they are now but the little boys that they were .

2 Likes

My teen bride, my Lovely Cousin on our wedding day in the dress she later sold.

She also had a ā€œGoing away outfitā€ that she changed into after the wedding breakfast. My going away outfit consisted of me removing my jacket, waistcoat, and tie. Both outfits were given to a charity shop a few decades later.

1 Like

Thatā€™s some bouquet.My BH was a florist.Her first month in the shop she had to do something similar .After that everything was easy apparently.

1 Like