Whatever Happened To That Wedding Dress?

Mine is in a box in the garage…can’t bring myself to get rid of it. It wasn’t expensive or anything …I remember going for it with my sister to a little shop on the Headrow in Leeds

1 Like

I hired one. It was a January wedding and the shop owner had just had all new stock in so it was brand new. I knew too many people who said there’s was in the loft or they kept it for a few years then gave it away so I thought this was sensible.

2 Likes

Mups you look gorgeous both times :slight_smile:

1 Like

My little sister wore mine at here wedding. I felt honoured and of course, delighted…especially as she had to let it out a little :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks very much Muddy. I was only 18 first time.

And thanks Ted, as well. I’ve gone all red now. :grinning:

1 Like

My wife’s is still folded neatly in it’s original box AND it still fits her. She found it in a shop then known as Richard’s in Richmond (now classed as London) and just had to have it. It’s not specifically designed for getting married in as it’s a creamy lace trimmed evening gown, but to us it was the bee’s knees of a dress and on the day looked fantastic in the Registry Office and again in the little gathering in the pub afterwards. A tiny lady with a fantastic dress made my life wonderful, but we still have it as all of our daughters are taller and larger, so none of them borrowed it for any occasion.

4 Likes

You are you and I am 100% sure those that know and love you wouldn’t change a thing. Our bodies are just a carrier for the inner person and that’s the part that counts :ok_hand::+1:

2 Likes

The inner child that is within us all but in reality is long gone.

I think my inner person must be huge because she is showing through lol

1 Like

A pregnant silence, here!

:fearful:

1 Like

Lol…no, that is not the reason I got married…no shotguns involved lol

1 Like

Sadly my Lovely Cousin sold her wedding dress twenty odd years ago without telling me, because we were skint.
Had I known I would have sold something of mine instead so she could keep it. I sold the three-speed suet I got married in a bit later. It no longer fitted me and I couldn’t think of a time when I might need it again.

Although she put on a lot of weight after our first son was born, and it took many decades before she was able to shift it, she is now the size she was when we were wed, so her dress would once more have fitted her.

The less ornate under-part of my Granny’s wedding dress that she made herself is now in a virtual museum, dedicated to the ship she once sailed on that was later sunk whilst on Atlantic convoy duty by a German battleship after it was converted to an armed merchant ship.

A little stained with age, but not bad considering it’s a hundred years old this year, and and it went to Australia in 1922 and stayed there until she brought it back back in 1937.

Granny-Dress-21

Granny-DRess-31

4 Likes

I didn’t have a wedding dress, we were married in a Registry Office as I hate being the centre of attention! :grinning:

However my daughter was married 26 years ago and still has her wedding dress.

8 Likes

When we married, V didn’t have a wedding dress, just a nice silk skirt, silk blouse and a linen jacket.

2 Likes

Well Tedc, this subject is now on national UK TV. The BBC have just done a piece about a wedding dress that started out in Plymouth UK has been rescued from a skip in Australia, 84 years later.
A suitcase full of wedding treasures including the bride’s dress, the groom’s gloves, even dried roses was passed from the happy couple to distant relatives in Oz, but was binned during a rather fierce house clearance, but subsequently rescued.
The wedding gown is still in perfect condition, still in the box it came in from a store called Dingles. The woman who bought it eventually decided not to wear it on her special day after all, but the whole collection is now to go on display at an exhibition.

It’s a proper time capsule.

2 Likes

The media always want to copy our ideas!

What shall we do next!

:clown_face:

1 Like

I said earlier that I hired my wedding dress. I also hired a veil and little tiara from the same shop. I did buy white shoes though.

I might be a bit weird but I felt no emotional attachment to the dress and just took it back to the shop a few days later.

It was a January wedding and the photos taken outside were like scenes from Wuthering Heights.:rofl: The sky was almost navy blue and a storm was approaching over the sea.

We have been married 45 years.

2 Likes

This is my wedding dress, it cost £39 in the sale at Selfridges. I think it was about £100 plus normally. This was a lot in those days when my wage was about £7 a week.

Excuse my eyes being shut in the pic, l must’ve been nodding off or looking at my husband lovingly! :laughing:

4 Likes

Aww @Mups and @Artangel
You both looked stunning xx

4 Likes

Thanks Rhian. x