What would you say is the most reliable and cost efficient apparatus in your home?

9 years ago I moved into my current accommodation. At that time I bought a pedestal fan which cost about $17.
Every summer this fan runs for upwards of 10 hours a night at the end of my bed.
I am thinking this is my most reliable appliance.

1 Like

My wife

1 Like

:grinning: Your wife is an apparatus?

1 Like

joking apart I did get onebit of apparatus way back in2016, and that was a skyvac atom machine

I have a large 4 bed house and to get to the roof gutters without this machine would cost me a small fortune.
for example it cost me back then ÂŁ464 and since then a new motor ÂŁ105. The house has one long roof gutter at the back and 5 at the front and side plus two roof gullies and also the double garage gutter.
due to local trees I usually clean them all at least 5 times a year. If I had a company in to do the job would be a minimum of ÂŁ100 each time.

So having the machine cost me in tgotal = ÂŁ579 approx
having a compamy in for 8 years x 5 timea year x ÂŁ100 would be ÂŁ4000 at least if not more.

1 Like

I also forgot to mention I also do a neighbours house like mine for free, but not so often. I do it for nothing because he has heath issues, I won’t go into. It is so nice to have great friendly neighbours all around who help each other out if needed, it is my bit of contribution

1 Like

Me too but it is all on one level, I use my drone to check the gutters at the start of the bush fire season and send my kids up a ladder to clean them out if necessary (rarely is - no deciduous trees I guess). I haven’t calculated how much my kids cost.

3 Likes

Very brave of you to tempt fate like that. :grinning:

1 Like

Washing machine.

1 Like

@Bretrick In my home is has to be the WiFi internet router. That piece of equipment is on 24/7 annually and at peak time connects to at least 5 internet devices without any problems. It didn’t cost me anything and came from my ISP within 3 days of signing up.

1 Like

All of the appliances i have are (apparently) cost efficient, however, i’ve got to mention my kettle, only a 1000 watt, boils quickly, uses hardly any electric, and is one of the very few appliances, that when left plugged in at the socket, does not use any electric until the kettle itself is switched on
Wonderful

1 Like

The power is the same energy regardless. But what do I know - I’m just an electrical engineer.

1 Like

Not quite seeing the point you are trying to make, can you explain further?

1 Like

Probably my mum’s old electric sewing machine, a Jones

58 years old and still going lovely

1 Like

My air fryer,used it every day for the last 5 years.

1 Like

To be honest I haven’t got anything cost efficient Bretrick, I didn’t buy them to save money or be cost efficient. I bought them because they are reliable, look nice, easy to use for Mrs Fox, and will last a long time without too much maintenance. So reliable stuff includes the kettle (gets a lot of use cos I love tea) This laptop, never had a problem with it after six years of constant use. Touch wood… :deciduous_tree: Although the lithium battery only lasts a fraction of what it used to…So beware all of you electric car drivers… :crazy_face:
Induction hob that gets used every day. An eight year old Bosch combi boiler, supplies hot showers on demand and warms the house when it gets cold. Who cares how much gas it uses or how much it costs…Qualcast rotary electric (hate rechargeable rubbish) lawn mower 20 years old this year and still keeping the grass short…Humax recorder 11 years old and still recording Coronation street religiously…
There are several other items that have stood the test of time and reliability, I think I have bought wisely over the years…

1 Like

Energy is energy. Just energy. You can’t change it to make less electric.

can you remove moss from roof slates using this?

1 Like

Annies
if you can get the poles nd the curved end coupler over the tiles and over the moss then yes PROVIDING THE TILES DON’T ALSO GET PULLED OFF, it has a very strong suction. I did remove grass growing on next doors roof gutter and they were big lumps to lift off. the machine can also blow which may be a better way to shift moss first before sucking. To give some idea I would strongly recommend NOT putting a hand over the sucking outlet on the machine , DEIFINATELY NOT A GOOD IDEA.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, have a great morning/afternoon/evening

This potato masher the last remaining item of a kitchen tool set made by Skyline.
A wedding gift .
It’s gone a bit wonky, I don’t think it’s dishwasher proof.

I had to drag it out the dishwasher to take the photo …it’s got bits and potato on it .:wink:

1 Like