What was your latest DIY project?

Are we talking last project, current project, or next project here?

I’m sure we would love to hear about your last, current and next project… :lol:

My last project was sawing through a gas pipe.

MY OH isn’t keen on me trying my hand at things since then … can’t think why.

I, with the help of my son, am trying to renovate my flat, to sell. We still have yet to start on the bathroom and the kitchen

Wow … sounds a big project FridgeMagnet.

Last project for me was building a Tea Shed…really, it was planned to be a Japanese Tea House, until I realised that I had to be in Japan to build a real one. So it got rechristened.

Current project is annoying everyones favourite company, Eon…I’m having new power cables laid, and they wanted to earn more money by digging the ditch. Not a chance when I have free access to a digger…After putting the cable on the ground, roughly where it should go, they went home…when they came back the following morning, the ditch was dug…:smiley: Its my own ground, by the way.

Next project…restoring another car, I think.

im bizzy at moment doing kitchen,all units ripped out,tiles chopped off walls,chopping tiles off the foor now.
altered the wireing for new sockets an lights,will start retileing the floor next week.

We are in the process of having our new bathroom fitted,after two years of moaning to my husband, he finally agreed to us having a Jacuzzi bath fitted and its wonderful :mrgreen:

Now the tiling need to be finished which i am hoping will be completed soon, but as he hates the job,i have to keep nagging :lol::lol:

I have great admiration for you people who tackle DIY. I have no talents at all that way and always hired someone to do things. Or it didn’t get done.

The main thing to remember is. DiY projects don’t necessarily have to be huge complicated undertakings. Even quick fixes can be satisfying to carry out yourself.

Easy to say, Mike, but some people just aren’t good at manual things. I remember what a disaster trying to put wood-grained contact paper on the tops of metal radiator covers I’d ordered … such a mess… :roll:

I suppose so. I was encouraged when my son and I replaced part of the ceiling in my living room. Actually, relatively simple with plaster board panels. We (I) also invested in a electric nail gun which made the job even quicker and easier.

It’s probably cheaper if you have the proper tools on hand, and I suspect there’s a great feeling of satisfaction at a well done job. But I know my limitations … :mrgreen:

Well. I just think of the hundreds, possibly thousands of ££££s a tradesman would quote, and who knows in this day and age, how much integrity and honesty they would have.
To tell you the truth. I am seriously considering replacing my bathroom suite next.

The cost of having a professional doing the jobs is a big factor in D.I.Y, we were lucky as my brother is a plumber and was able to help fit our new bathroom, but I think my husband would have been able to do it on his own. :smiley:

My late FiL was heating engineer. So we got full central heating installed totally free…twice.

Its very handy when members of the family or friends are in the trade.

My husbands brother is a bricklayer,he helped build our Conservatory, his dad was an by electrician trade now retired, but still on hand if needed.:smiley:

Helping my son redo his home after the floods devastated it. Complete refurbish from top to bottom.

Quite true. Another thing that people dont realise is that quite often, its possible to break down one big project into several smaller ones.

I am afraid my DIY projects have had to be curtailed somewhat because my eyesight isn’t what it once was.

There was also the incident with the Stanley knife and my thumb when laying a cork tiled floor at 4am (once I start a job I like to finish it ) . This taught me to think more about what I do and when I do it .