What was your experience of changing to a Smart Meter?

Affordability is not an issue, and as yet no accessibility to pensioner discounts, paid inflationary cost a low usage, now reaping the benefits.

1 Like

Yes, you are right it is not an affordability issue as you said before you can afford it.

Perhaps I should have said it is an opportunity cost, ie it is money that can’t be spent on something higher up Maslow’s hierarchy of needs perhaps.

It’s more about, no longer supporting the finance houses, and more about keeping the lights on.

1 Like

I feel exactly the same. I do not have a smart phone or internet bank account so I cannot see the need. I used to have an invoice every three months but the provider sends me a monthly meter reading request which I ignore. Then I send in a reading every three months and pay the amount due. Simples !!

1 Like

Yep, that’s what I do David…It makes good sense…
:sunglasses:

No it doesn’t we aint goin to save the planet with a smart meter but, we can make accurate decisions along the way.

I do the same re my energy bills, simples, no smart metre require.

Yet I do see the benefits of both a smart phone and internet banking.

A smart phone free zone here, but I do internet banking. They closed all my branches down and trying to get parked in Doncaster is either difficult or costs a kings ransom.

Smart meters are great, you dan shut stuff down when you have reached you daily budget.

A daily budget? What’s that? And why?

Forward planning Foxy, it’ll be good to go into the next round of price hikes with a credit of a grand or so because I can’t see this government assistance being extended indefinitely

1 Like

Well there is that to it Spitty…
:thinking:

You can get a nifty samsung galaxy for £100 + a payg sim, keep it at home all the time as I do. Use it for texting people, the odd call, receiving texts with links from the likes of the nhs, have it permanently fixed to your home wifi, surf the net in the small hours when you can’t sleep …

1 Like

I already have a mobile phone d00d, is a dandy little clamshell that I can throw into my rucksack. It probably can connect to the internet, I’m on a contract and pay 6 quid a month for unlimited calls and texts and about 500 mb of data. It’s small and fiddly and I need my specs on to read the screen, so I never use the internet on it. Why would I? I have a laptop with a 15 inch screen and a proper qwerty keyboard at home, where I can sit warm and comfortable and visit all you nice members from all over the world (mainly the UK though) When I’m out and about, I like to concentrate on the world around me, and not be distracted with twitter, the forum, or films, TV and music…I don’t want to take the internet with me once I leave home…I hope you understand d00d…
:sunglasses:

2 Likes

We have a four bed detached house with NO smart meter we have 3 of us living here all the time. We cook a lot, have lights on until midnightish, wash a load most days, have a dishwasher, several TVs going, sometimes use a tumble drier, have a computer running all the time etc etc. our electric bill is £67 a month approx.

We let out (for holidays) a little house WITH a smart meter and that costs £20 MORE a month. No dishwasher, no tumble dryer, people hardly use the cooker, hardly use the washing machine and it is not always occupied. Work that out!!

Evening all!

Booked a date to instal the Smart Meter.

On another note, received my updated bill from energy supplier, and after being in the ‘green’ for many years, I am £350 in debt. Increased DD from around £80 to £200. It may balance itself out during the summer months - maybe.

1 Like

Glad to hear you’ve made up your mind - you have had a lot of varied responses to your original question.
Do let us know how it goes in the months following the installation of your Smart Meter - I’ll be interested to hear how you get on.

1 Like

I doubt you can blame that on the smart meter.

What is the consumption in kilowatt hours at each place and what is the charge per Kwh at each place? All that information should be on the bills. Only then can you “work that out”.

Certainly if it was me I would want to know why there was such an apparent discrepancy.

The bills will have information like this somewhere:

From that information for each house you should be able to work out exactly why the difference.

A smart meter just gives £s Shillings and pence, simples.

See a Smart meter can be simple.

1 Like