What was your experience of changing to a Smart Meter?

Morning, all!

I am finally ‘thinking’ about going ahead with a smart meter (we have had our old meter for over 20+ years).

Any stories about your smart meter change over? Good or bad. Right now, I’m in the mood for stories about changing over and your experiences.

Maybe give me food for thought.

Morning M44

Why are you finally ‘thinking’ about going ahead with a smart meter? We have a meter 20+ years old, I can’t see any reason to change that.

Hi M44 I fought it off for years but decided 4 years ago to do it and no problems at all , I don’t have to read it any more ( the outside cupboard was always full of huge spiders ) so all is OK by me .

1 Like

I was landed with one when I moved, much to my disgust. However, I find it really useful in keeping an eye on things and when I send in my meter reading each week, and they are often a bit different to the energy company checks. (They read your meter remotely as well - I’m not very keen on this idea) Having said that, I still wouldn’t choose to have one.

I was against a Smart Meter on the grounds that the supplier could mess about with your tariff remotely and, if conditions dictated, could restrict supply altogether, but, I was refitting the downstairs loo and the gas meter was in the way but we sussed in having the meters updated, they could be sited nicely inside a unit I was fitting, not the usual decision making process I know.
Having had them fitted, as predicted, they have not changed our energy usage patterns but, if for arguments sake, it’s 7.00pm and you take a reading, then put the Gas Fire on for one hour and take the reading at 8.00pm, you get a cost in pounds shillings and pence what an hour costs, so, it’s useful in that respect.
If you are an avid record collector, you can see day to day what is happening and make adjustments accordingly.

1 Like

Hello d00d!

We received a communication from our service provider that stated:

‘your electricity meter is approaching the end of its certification period and needs to be replaced.’

So, we can either ignore it, not sure if that will benefit us, or address it.

Thank you, Pixie!

I read online that you can choose when they read your meter i.e., monthly. I believe it was a discussion on the use of ‘low-frequency’ radio waves to read the meter remotely. Some online users opted for the less frequent meter reading as they had concerns about radiation and the service provider I am with, stated they are happy to do it monthly.

1 Like

Thank you, spitfire!

Having an idea of the cost based on regular usage, is definitely a plus point.

This radiation thing was a concern but, if your Neighbours have one, 10 feet either side of your property, you not having one will probably make no difference, also, if you are in your golden years, there probably not be enough time for it to manifest as a cause of death.

1 Like

Your phone apps etc are continually updating.

1 Like

We have one neighbour on the right and they had theirs updated a few years back. But I’m okay with the monthly updates, and I believe the radiation I am exposed to on a daily basis will probably make it negligible in comparison.

Hi M444, I don’t need a smart meter, as I have an electric key, I’m all electric, so know exactly how much electric I use a day/ evening…:+1:

2 Likes

That is great, pauline3!
I have a friend who has been on a meter for years. She does get into hairy situations, more so in the issue of where to top up her key and seems to have an uncanny mental capacity to work out how much she has and how much she needs on any given day, down to the nearest penny!

1 Like

I will resist having a smart meter until I’m forced to, there was some talk a bit back about smart meter tariffs being altered at peak times, ie, charging more between 5pm and 7pm as folks arrive home from work cooking their teas and whatnot, but with the way the markets are atm not sure if this still applies, then there’s the problem of smart meters becoming “dumb” , if you are able to change suppliers, then the meters may not work on their systems, plus installers are fitting smets1 meters instead of the latest smets2 ones, the smets1 don’t work with the latest upgraded system, I think you need to research more to find out exactly what’s being offered before you commit to a smart meter, oh, one other thing, should you fall into debt, you can easily be changed to pre payment with a smart meter which is much more expensive…

5 Likes

Its scary how much control they have over your own energy isn’t it? I always get really peeved when I input my readings and a message comes up saying “We have already read your meter on xyz date. Only submit your readings if they differ from ours” Gives me the heebie jeebies :astonished:

1 Like

Cant see the point to them tbh.
I would and will use power if and when needed,they cost money to run anyway by being plugged in 24/7.

3 Likes

They go into sleep mode over night, when you view them first thing in the morning you think, how could I have used that much energy over night but you haven’t =, you are looking at the daily standing charge

2 Likes

It costs more, to have a meter,M444, I don’t mind that, as long as I know how much electricity I use a day, I’m a happy bunny…:+1:…I charge my key up at the post office or the convenience store.

1 Like

No I wouldn’t have one, read too many horror stories about them .
But the energy companies constantly bully us to have one.

3 Likes

This is great feedback Primus1,
Truly welcome your knowledge. Have done some research on the First and second generations meters and the challenges with installation of the older model vs newer one. However, I will double check with my supplier on what they are offering and what happens if you fall into debt, and with our current situation on energy costs, it is not a piece of advice to ignore.
Appreciated.