What to do about Northern Ireland

This matter is still ongoing and I haven’t seen any further discussion about it on here for a while, so I hope that others might like to debate it further. The impression I get is that no-one is entirely happy with the present situation. Having just read a collection of interesting readers’ comments in The Telegraph, I’d like to hear from members here suggesting pros and cons of the various options.

Should we:
(a) leave things as they are;
(b) take back full control and sovereignty over Northern Ireland;
(c) hand Northern Ireland to the Republic and let them sort out the ensuing ‘troubles’;
(d) something else.

Invoke Article 16 and ensure that Ulster remains a politically contiguous part of Great Britain. Eire is a foreign country and a part of the EU there must be a very hard border in place between The Province together with the rest of Great Britain - and the EU states.

3 Likes

Let the people of NI have a vote to stay part of the UK or unite as a whole

1 Like

Yes, N.I. was part of the UK and still is politically.
The problem appears to be that a hard border on the island of Ireland would cause a lot of trouble from the Republicans and also there is the ongoing problem of smuggling. On that latter point, perhaps we could leave the problem of policing the border to the EU, as it is they who don’t want us to benefit in any way from trade (one way or another) with their empire.

The problem is that, whichever way it went, a significant proportion of the population would be unhappy. A united Ireland does seem like the best long term solution, though. :thinking:

Yes, that would be the democratic thing to do. The problem would be that half of the country would vote to remain in the UK and the other half would vote to join Ireland.
I wonder which way it would go.

More importantly, I wonder which would benefit everyone the most. To be honest, I suspect that the Irish people collectively might be happy and, for that matter, the people of the UK might be happier too.
But what about the people in N.I. who would want to remain part of the UK?

They would be in a similar position to those in the UK who wanted to remain part of the EU. :slightly_smiling_face:

@JBR , ‘What about the people who want to remain part of Uk’ ?
Well unless they agree to join all the other paddies, then send them to Rwanda
same as the uvver illegals !!
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

Hi

The problem is that we do not have a Hard Border with the EU anywhere.

We, the UK, are still not applying the Rules and EU goods are flowing in unchecked.

Boris had an Oven Ready Deal, to my mind it is still in the freezer being defrosted.

The EU are making the most of it to their advantage.

We are where we are.

I do not want a Hard Border for practical reasons.

The IRA will be at it again and we do not have the resources to stop atrocities from them.

If we did have them, I would be all for it.

I have no current solution to the problem.

I do have one of my out of the box, mad ,solutions to the issue.

This one is completely weird, but that is me.

Boris declares the whole of NI as a Freeport, that keeps it in the UK and stuffs the EU.

@Donkeyman - thank you for that racist remark.

Yes, I asked that in my last post.

:rofl:
There are good Paddies as well as bad ones, ST. I know some.

1 Like

I’m not sure exactly how ‘freeports’ work, SF, but if that could be done - and bear in mind that NI is still part of the UK, and we are at least nominally a sovereign nation - it sounds a good idea.

I assume that the border between Ireland and NI would still have to be policed, or would it? Perhaps it’s just a matter of filling in forms?

Hi
Yes, the Border would still have to be erected, financed and policed by the EU, Not the UK.

We would be complying fully with the agreement.#

It would then be an entirely an EU problem.

We need some clever Politicians to use these Facts.

The way things work here in the UK is that the employees set the facts.

We are not the ones who decide to pull the
trigger.

That is purely a Political Decision.

That is how it should be.

There has been trouble in and with Ireland since the Anglo Norman Invasion during the 1170’s when The High Kingship was ended by that invasion; then there was the Republic of Ireland Act of 1949 leaving Northern Ireland to sort out and has given trouble ever since Most probably, it always cause trouble without any obvious answers :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

@JBR , l know one good ones too JB, then there are Catholics and
protestants ??
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

Ah yes, religion again. You would think that all Christians would be peace-loving people and would get on with each other! Perhaps if the present invasion by people of a different religion might drive the Christian people together in unity…
I don’t think!

I agree. Unfortunately, we haven’t had any clever politicians for quite some time now.

Surprisingly few “Christians” are Christian.

2 Likes

Absolutely. According to an article in today’s DM Boris is ready to do just this because the DUP is getting really stroppy.