What television show were you not allowed to watch as a teenager?

Here in Australia we had a show called Number 96. From 1972 to 1977. Us kids were packed off to bed. Though sometimes we would sneak out a watch it, peering around the corner.
Soap Opera. Apartment 96 in a 4 story block. The program explored Mature Subject Matter. With Full Frontal Male and Female Nudity and a Gay Kiss.
UK and US networks banned it after a short run for being “Far too Explicit”

Never seen it! would have been out looking for some real explicit full frontal nudity, gay kisses were not a consideration back then so, can’t comment on that.

2 Likes

I lived through my High School years with my father and step-mother. She forbade us to watch Rowan and Martin’s Laugh In. I’m sure though that I’d have not been allowed to watch Number 96 though either. Laugh In was far, far tamer than anything of that sort. My step-mother was odd about other things as well.

1 Like

Can’t think of anything I wasn’t allowed to watch.

1 Like

The show ran for 6 years with over 1000 episodes.
The premiere of the series was promoted heavily in media with newspaper advertisements that described it as “Tonight, Australian television loses its virginity”

Originally the premise of the show was to be a little like the British series Coronation Street , but a little racier.
Well, what I remember of Corrie, Number 96 was way racier. :grinning:

1 Like

I think the issue was more about how late programs were on during the school week.

I used to love watching the the horror double bill on a Saturday night which I was allowed. Usually Hammer or Amicus films as I remember.

2 Likes

Yep, some of that Timmy Mallet stuff was pretty scary

2 Likes

London kids grow up fast and by the time I was a teenager I was treated pretty much like an adult.

I can’t imagine them not letting me watch anything on the telly that was on

Anyway, I was a teenager in the 70s when programs were pretty tame compared to what went on in our real life all around us!

3 Likes

Nothing on TV at the time was worth banning in our house. It was all very tame at the time.

The most racy thing I saw was when I was 12, I was forced to go on a field trip to a movie theater to see Romeo and Juliet. There was a nude love scene in that. I don’t know why the teachers thought that was educational enough to warrant a field trip to see it. Surely we could have read the book instead.

1 Like

@Bretrick TV as a teenager? That didn’t apply to me as I was out & about at every spare opportunity wenching and playing with my band. Wasting precious time watching TV wasn’t even considered by me or any of my fellow musicians and band of brothers. Young ladies expected to be courted and courted they most certainly were by me and many of my like minded mates :+1:

1 Like

I rarely watched TV as a teenager - much better things to do with my time. I doubt I could name any programmes that were on at the time.
In fact, I rarely watch it now either.

3 Likes

We didn’t have a television…

I don’t remember my parents banning anything, but we had to be in bed early on a weekday. TV in the UK is/was well censored, not showing anything that might offend little ones before 9pm. Auntie looked after us. It’s a load of rubbish because if you’re old enough to be interested enough to want to watch it, then kids should watch it.

2 Likes

What might have been considered inappropriate way back when probably wouldn’t raise an eyebrow today.

My mum hated Top of the Pops

Why may I ask?
It’s a very vague memory but my Dad really got annoyed about this fella.

hqdefault

1 Like

I was a teenager in the 70s,and i don`t remember not being allowed to watch anything that was on.
Then again tv programs were tame as Maree has stated.

Dragnet.