What’s on my easel today

Well I’m a bit stumped I don’t quite know how to finish it !

On and off but I only started with oils two years ago .
They are lovely but messy !
When you get used to them they are easier to handle than acrylics they don’t dry as quickly .
They are good though too and you can get retarding mediums .
If you like abstract art poring acrylics looks like fun I have never done it but there are lots of tutorials on YouTube .
If you want to try a less messy method first you could try polychromo colour pencils .
These give a very nice effect I did a lot of dog and other animals with them portraits with them .

They are easier to manage and less messy than painting but need time and patience .
You can get a box of Faber castell polychromos on Amazon for about £21 .( about 12 pencils )

have you thought about joining a painting group ?
This can be fun !

The main thing is just to start !

4 Likes

I think I will call it a day now

5 Likes

How big is this picture?
I read that you use oils. That’s one medium I’ve never quite grasped however you are a natural at it. Your horses are gorgeous Muddy but so are your people. I’ve never been good at drawing or painting people.

It’s big nearly 120 x75 centimetre .
It is a commission they asked for specific requirement s which I didn’t find that easy .
Still because I love horses if they don’t like it it can stay with me !

It is in oil paints which are really lovely to use being smooth and buttery and don’t dry quickly so you have time to correct or blend .I toned the board with acrylics - you can see the yellow ochre in the background . You can do entire underpainting in acrylics as the dry quickly and then paint the top layers in oil .

The most difficult part ( for me )is the composition I have to see in my minds eye what I am going to paint .

I always thought that I couldn’t do people until an artist friend told me that was rubbish !
If you candraw animals you can draw people .
And he was right .

Had a yearning for Yerba mate which I used to drink in South America .
Haven’t got the gear with me so have painted myself one .

2 Likes

Sorry, reminds me of a toffee apple.

Does a bit :grinning:

Thanks Muddy, for the straight talk.

It’s so long since I have done anything I have zero inspiration .
But today I showed a friend a lady who has had a stroke how to draw an eye in pastels .
This is my version .

2 Likes

Excellent Muddy, the eye looks so real I am waiting for it to blink! :grinning:

1 Like

Beautiful as usual Muddy.

1 Like

Long time no paint decided to try a new technique stated this yesterday
First stage

It gets worse!

Stage three looks like Gandhi

IMG_1792

A bit more

And here he is nearly done

1 Like

A little study of a cat not yet finished

2 Likes

All that talent, yet you say you are not an artist.

Well allow me to introduce myself. If you are not an artist, then I am the Queen of Sheba.

2 Likes

Thank you :slightly_smiling_face: