What’s on my easel today

Muddy,

I’m not an artist and never will be, I’ve been intrigued by these type of portraits for many years.
They really are quite compelling, its as if you’re actually looking into the eyes of the long deseaced , I gather that they really are basic as far as technique (encaustic) is concerned but blimey, it’s almost as if you could span the centuries.

I hope that makes sense?

th-2052760076

2 Likes

These are amazing portraits .The bottom one especially looks quite modern in its execution do they come from Rome or possibly Pompei ?

No Muddy, from Greco Roman Egypt, the northern delta area. Just do a Google for fayumic portraits and you’ll find plenty more images.
I believe the portraits were painted in life and ultimately used as mummy portraits.

The medium wasn’t paint as we know it today, rather a waxy substance, hence encaustic portraits

Thanks Chilli I will look them up
Encaustic is usually beeswax mixed with pigments .
There was a young man Bill Bone on “Portrait artist of the years ‘ who used wax .

1 Like

It’s still on my easel changing the background

4 Likes

That is a beautiful work of art Muddy.

1 Like

Thank you Spitty it’s not finished yet , I have to think about how to finish it .

It looks complete to my untrained eye, beautiful.

1 Like

@Muddy Have you always painted? and how would you recommend starting I as finding I have the time and maybe the inclination to do something. Info Never painted no talent but a possible desire to try, What would you suggest I get to start?

You will have to let us see the finished article because I to my untrained eye like Spitfire think it looks finished.

Well I’m a bit stumped I don’t quite know how to finish it !

On and off but I only started with oils two years ago .
They are lovely but messy !
When you get used to them they are easier to handle than acrylics they don’t dry as quickly .
They are good though too and you can get retarding mediums .
If you like abstract art poring acrylics looks like fun I have never done it but there are lots of tutorials on YouTube .
If you want to try a less messy method first you could try polychromo colour pencils .
These give a very nice effect I did a lot of dog and other animals with them portraits with them .

They are easier to manage and less messy than painting but need time and patience .
You can get a box of Faber castell polychromos on Amazon for about £21 .( about 12 pencils )

have you thought about joining a painting group ?
This can be fun !

The main thing is just to start !

4 Likes

I think I will call it a day now

5 Likes

How big is this picture?
I read that you use oils. That’s one medium I’ve never quite grasped however you are a natural at it. Your horses are gorgeous Muddy but so are your people. I’ve never been good at drawing or painting people.

It’s big nearly 120 x75 centimetre .
It is a commission they asked for specific requirement s which I didn’t find that easy .
Still because I love horses if they don’t like it it can stay with me !

It is in oil paints which are really lovely to use being smooth and buttery and don’t dry quickly so you have time to correct or blend .I toned the board with acrylics - you can see the yellow ochre in the background . You can do entire underpainting in acrylics as the dry quickly and then paint the top layers in oil .

The most difficult part ( for me )is the composition I have to see in my minds eye what I am going to paint .

I always thought that I couldn’t do people until an artist friend told me that was rubbish !
If you candraw animals you can draw people .
And he was right .

Had a yearning for Yerba mate which I used to drink in South America .
Haven’t got the gear with me so have painted myself one .

2 Likes

Sorry, reminds me of a toffee apple.

Does a bit :grinning:

Thanks Muddy, for the straight talk.

It’s so long since I have done anything I have zero inspiration .
But today I showed a friend a lady who has had a stroke how to draw an eye in pastels .
This is my version .

2 Likes