What is this mushroom-like thing 'growing' on a tree?

Saw this tree while on a walk at first thought it had Turkey Tail mushrooms growing on it (apparently they’re good for you) but on closer look they’re rock solid! And the tree appears dead :confused:

Anyone know what it is? Some sort of disease?

CC’ing our resident forager, @Chilliboot :blush:

2 Likes

It’s not turkey tail but I’m not positive on what it is
White tooth mushrooms ?

1 Like

They are extremely hard @Chelsea62, rock solid - I don’t think it’s a mushroom?

1 Like

We have mushrooms that grow on many of our trees and they are rock solid hard. ( actually they look just like those but I am not exactly sure what they are called ) Not all mushrooms are spongey soft. And yes it’s most likely mushroom fungus especially knowing it’s on a dead or dying tree. Mushrooms can calcify.

3 Likes

Ah that’s interesting! I always thought mushrooms/fungus were soft :lol:

1 Like

Generally speaking they normally are. I’ll try and get pics of the mushrooms on our trees since they look very similar and are rock hard also.
It is a bit weird.

1 Like

It’s obviously a bracket fungus of some sort, I suppose the fact that it’s dead is going to make it harder to id.

My son has a very comprehensive book on fungi in his room, I’ll ask for it when he gets up.

1 Like

@Azz If they are hard to the touch, then without being there I would guess Shelf Fungus. Or it could be Cap Fungus that has aged, but I would think my 1st guess would fit that photo.

2 Likes

I would agree with LongDriver that they are very likely Shelf Fungus, and that they have become calcified.

2 Likes

Fungus for sure,they possibly soften when picked.

1 Like

Thanks everyone - you learn something new everyday! I had no idea fungus could get so hard, and they look very much like the photo in @OldBloke’s post.

My next question is why do they calcify and what does that actually do? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Don’t touch them Azz…
:open_mouth:

1 Like

Why? I did :icon_redface:

Just in case it is some sort of dry rot, the spores can be easily spread. Best wash your hands.

1 Like

You may find fungi wings growing on your body! :astonished: :wink:

2 Likes

If it kills the tree it’s not likely to be good for humans. There’s been a bit of this about and the council tends to chop down the tree if it happens. Otherwise branches weakened by disease can crack and fall on people etc. or it spreads to other trees.

1 Like

It’s a toughie Azz, I’m just glad I’m not having any for dinner!

1 Like

Because we need you here Azz…
:+1:

1 Like

It rained all day so I never got out to take pictures of the mushrooms but they do look like shelf fungus. They aren’t considered edible but only due to their hardness however they are often ground up to use as teas. Apparently turkey tail mushrooms are a type of shelf fungus are definitely edible. They are even made into supplements.

Most shelf fungi are inedible because they are very tough . As a result, shelf fungi are ground into powder and used to make teas in herbal medicine. Another herbal shelf fungus is Turkey Tail, Trametes versicolor. One edible species is the sulfur shelf or chicken-of-the-woods, Laetiporus sulphureus.

1 Like

Thanks again everyone! :blush:

I could do with some wings right about now Mags! :lol:

Can you cook it? I wonder if it has similar health benefits to Turkey Tail mushrooms :upside_down_face: