What is this mushroom-like thing 'growing' on a tree?

Possibly if it were fresh and was definitely an edible variety such as beefsteak fungus.

I wouldn’t want to take any chances whatsoever with fungi :skull_and_crossbones:

2 Likes

Sorry I missed yours and @OldGreyFox’s posts earlier!

I didn’t know Turkey Tail mushrooms were hard as well (didn’t know any mushrooms were, lol!). I wonder whether Lion’s Mane mushrooms are too? I want to try those as well at some point…

I’ve been hearing lots of good things about them recently, such as Lion’s Mane:

Summary: Active compounds in the edible Lion’s Mane mushroom can help promote neurogenesis and enhance memory, a new study reports. Preclinical trials report the compound had a significant impact on neural growth and improved memory formation. Researchers say the compound could have clinical applications in treating and preventing neurodegenerative disorders such as Alzheimer’s disease.

Mushrooms Magnify Memory by Boosting Nerve Growth - Neuroscience News.

1 Like

I agree, playing with fire. I don’t mean human health but ecologically humans could wipe out entire species by disturbing them.

Lion’s mane mushrooms have a soft, spongy texture and an internal structure similar to cauliflower, with branches extending from a single base. They are not hard like Shelf Fungus. Their mild, slightly sweet flavor is considered by many to be similar to crab or lobster.

They are used to help increase cognitive functioning. I take lions mane, cordyceps, reiki and turkey tail together as a pure powder mixed with my coffee. They make a significant difference to my health.

Note: I don’t forage my own mushrooms. I purchase them from Amazon. Lol
I agree with the others that you have to be really careful picking your own mushrooms

Nor did I, won’t be picking a fight with one of them :smiley:

1 Like

It’s good news that they can improve your memory…
Now where did I put my spectacles?.. :017: