What have you done in the garden today?

Did some deadheading and a bit of watering.

Nothing but going to start to check with friends for some swops and also highlight before they go over any plants to split and or move in September. Also would love a few big tubs of tulips and daffs so planning those too.

if there is one comfort amongst all the doom and gloom of UK reports atm it is the ‘garden section’ what a blessing - I was reminded of the story that my first wife used to recite occasionally. going into her dads greenhouse and ‘stealing’ the young tomatoes before fully grown much to the angst of her daddy! who would moan and groan and just accept it of course. Oh oh happy days late 50’s early 60’s before i came on the scene - but happy UK days oh were have they all gone - only to be found in the good old ‘english garden’?

1 Like

That puts me in mind of my great grandson who sadly is Autistic. Last summer a few of the family were visiting and after they had gone home I realised that all of my tomatoes, still green, had been removed from the plant and lined up in order of size. Very clever I thought but still bloody annoying.

3 Likes

Hi

Gardening keeps me sane.I get totally involved in it and worldly worries just disappear.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more Swimmy. Up until this last few weeks of intense heat, most of my free time is spent pottering about in the garden. It can be a real stress buster.

2 Likes

Changed the compost in 4 pots of daffodils and they’re starting to sprout roots, i hope to do the other 3 soon. Also did some watering.

Nothing to be honest , it needs a good soaking to be able to think about putting daff bulbs in and planting out wallflowers we have grown from seed.

1 Like

Not much today just a bit of watering.

Ive planted out the Sweet William which ive grown from seed this Summer , they will flower next year , fingers crossed i shall see them flower .
Also have dainty Violas that I planted from seed these are going to family who said they liked them , they have come true to the parent plant .
Ive just got to plant the Sweetpea seeds in October November time which will over winter in the Cold Greenhouse …
Im pleased with what ive grown this year , my Fushia cuttings i took last year have grown into small shrubs .

2 Likes

Planted out the wallflowers we had grown , also some tulip bulbs the garden was surprisingly dry down at bulb level, now how is it Daffodils of which I came across know when to start rooting again, what triggers them ?

1 Like

Planted out the wallflowers along the path and replaced some of the polyanthus with new ones.

1 Like

Cooler nights and mornings, I’m just guessing and then they stop, i know that bit.

1 Like

Possibly, probably, but the ground must be above normal temperature following the heat waves, something does that for sure .

1 Like

Busy getting rid of some ivy!

1 Like

Dead heading Dahlias. So many Dahlias damaged by the heavy rain.

1 Like

My friend is disabled, I help her in the garden…I mowed the lawn for her, raked up all of the acorns as she has a massive oak tree in her garden, cut round the edging and cleaned the mower after use and put it back into her shed,:heartpulse:

3 Likes

Hi

You are an absolute star Pauline.

1 Like

Hi

Nothing, have been to the garden centre again, Percy Throwers, Wendy took me, and some amazing bargains.

We did get a tip off however on where the bargains would be, which does help.

1 Like

today is acorn picking up day , so out with the petrol blower (best way so as not to rip up the grass) and collected half a rubber garden bucket full. Second time this year so far

2 Likes