What have you done in the garden today?

Went out this morning and dug up a phormium that had outgrown it’s welcome and replaced it with a forsythia that was in the wrong place round the back. Amazing how much space there was to fill!

Before…

and after…

2 Likes

No small job digging that out I bet!

1 Like

I think it is the heat that kills European plants rather than the wet, my hydrangeas are normally in the shade but for about an hour before sunset in summer they get full sun and look very sad.

On the other hand my native Grevilleas look sad most of the time at the moment because of the clay about a foot down, they don’t like wet feet

I had a Bird of Paradise plant like that, it had got too big and was slowly pushing the path out of the way, it took me days to mattock it out.

1 Like

Luckily the phormium has quite small roots and none that go deep, so after sawing all the leaves off and only around ten to fifteen minutes under digging, I managed to pull it out. The bigger job then was chopping the root into manageable pieces with an axe so that I could lift them into my truck! :smile:

2 Likes

What have you done in the garden today?

Looked at it through the window!

2 Likes

Yesterday when it was fine I manged to dead head 25 polyanthus /primroses. I do this every 2 weeks to ensure a constant supply of flowers through the winter and into spring.

2 Likes

My vegetable seeds arrived in today’s post, so I may spend a pleasant afternoon planning my sowing schedule for the coming season. Only one to get going straight away are my onions, the crop is so much better growing from seed rather than sets, but they do need to get an early start…

1 Like

Nothing, my garden sits on good old devon clay, its too wet to be on it, mind the grass will soon need a trim, it just kept growing all winter.

1 Like

It’s mild but wet so couldn’t do anything today, it was supposed to be dry all day.
That’s great @Barry enjoy your planning for your seeds.

1 Like

It’s 9c and dry so I emptied one of the compost bins and put it into containers for later use on the garden. Got 3 of those Darlek bins and they’re good.

I’ve stood and looked at it, on returning from my shopping trip…told it, it’s a disgrace and needs to tidy itself up.

Seriously…I’m really looking forward to getting out there when the milder weather gets here,:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I fed the birds

1 Like

Hi

Nothing.

The garden is so wet it squelches when you walk on the grass and it turns to mud.

1 Like

It’s too frosty to do anything

Bit early to do anything yet.

I’ve got some re-potting to do, and seeds to sow, but its too early just yet.
I need to check my small propagator is in working order too, otherwise I will have to treat myself soon.

1 Like

I agree. But, on the plus side, the frozen poo debris makes it easier to pick up.

1 Like

I managed to mow the remaining 600m long (and wet) grass outside my property and even did the edges. If it doesn’t rain I might do the back lawn, it is only 100 to 150mm tall

2 Likes

Sneezing! Tiger Lilly in action!! :sneezing_face: :sneezing_face: :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Went to feed the birds and surprised a lovely little field / harvest mouse on the bird table .it was so pretty and healthy looking ( and so it should after all the good stuff I put out every day )

1 Like

I planted some onion seeds four days ago and just checked on them… :flushed:

1 Like