What fats/oils do you use for cooking?

Reposting from Do you use an Air Fryer?

Curious to hear what fats you use for cooking and whether the video above has changed your mind in anyway :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Crikey!!..I was more interested in his “ physique “ :open_mouth::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::joy:

I use these, plus vegetable oil.

1 Like

I use Flora.
Wouldn’t use butter anyway far too expensive.

1 Like

I haven’t got a chip pan, and I haven’t done any kind of deep frying for many years, and so I just do shallow frying/sauteing in a small amount of oil

I used to use various kinds of cooking oil, including sunflower, but for the past few years I’ve used olive oil for all cooking - frying & salad dressings, and it works well enough
But I don’t use extra virgin, just the ordinary promiscuous stuff.

As with most food now, it seems, there is a bit of controversy, opposing opinions, and vested interests, but as far as I can tell the latest thoughts are that fats & cholesterol are perhaps not as bad as we were led to believe, though hydrogenated vegetable oils are not very good.
So I’ve stopped using most margarine and gone back to butter
Yes it’s expensive now, but I don’t eat much of it; just a small amount for sandwiches, I don’t cook or bake with it.

1 Like

Oh,I forgot to say, I do cook with butter and olive oil together, quite a bit.:open_mouth:

I used to cook steak in butter, many years ago.

1 Like

I don’t actually cook with anything ( no frying in this home) but I do add a little block butter to cooked vegetables and on bread .
I don’t regard it as expensive .

1 Like

Lard, fried bread, plumb tomatoes, bacon, hash browns , fried or scrambled eggs,
Washed down with a strong cup of coffee!

1 Like

I cook mainly with block butter (not that stuff in a tub!) and olive oil. I quite like olive oil that is garlic and rosemary flavoured.
I use dripping for roasts.
I don’t use oil so much these days.

3 Likes

For years I used olive oil but recently I am back to ordinary veggie oil

I have a sprayer I have used for years which is particularly useful especially on the BBQ but equally handy in a fry pan or air fryer.

Talking of the BBQ I also keep an aerosol can of Canola with the barbie because the foam (or lack of) is an indication of the plate temperature

1 Like

Bruce, One of my daughters used to use one calorie spray oil… but to me all the food that was sprayed tasted like gasoline!
Maybe, it doesn’t with the ‘full fat’ oil sprays?

1 Like

No, definitely not, that is just the ordinary veggie oil from the supermarket. Instead of pouring it on/in you spray it on. No reason at all why it should taste differently at all (and it doesn’t).

It just makes its use more convenient (and probably more economic). I got the idea from a restaurant in Thailand where they used such a sprayer on the woks. I tried it at home and now use it all the time. Like all these sprayers you can adjust the nozzle to spray or a jet, I wouldn’t be without it

2 Likes

I like to deep fry battered cod skins in cod liver oil. I find it helps me practise my scales.

2 Likes

How l Laughed! :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

| use flora spray,flora sunflower and sesame oil.
Never butter.

1 Like

I’m with you except for the dripping. Do you use that to roast beef? I have refused to ever roast beef again after an expensive disaster some years back.

1 Like

We never deep fry anything. Many years ago we’d fried pieces of fish, on the bone, rolled in flour. We’d used sunflower oil, use it once and throw it away. That was a bit smelly so we gave up.

Now … we use a spot of olive oil to start things off in the pan, then put the pan under the grill. For something like scrambled egg, I heat a drop of olive oil & a small knob of butter (for its flavour) in a non-stick pan.

1 Like

Last night we had 1 duck breast between us. Started it skin-side down in a cold, frying pan …

When cooked (pink inside) I let cool a bit, thinly sliced, returned to pan. Reheated for one min., added hot cooked basmati & soya sauce. :icon_cool:

Amazingly good, the rice soaks up the duck fat. All very healthy.

1 Like

Yes Annie, l usually use it to roast joints of meat.
I take the sediment out and use the dripping fat to roast the potatoes and to cook the Yorkshire pudding in.

I am sorry your roast beef was unsuccessful, what caused that? Did you roast it on a too high temperature?
I always cook mine slowly as l find if the oven is too high, the beef shrivels and becomes dry.
I usually cook the Yorkshire Pudding in a large tin. I put the beef or, whatever joint l am cooking on a trivet standing in the mixture and the sediment drips onto the cooking Yorkshire.
Corr… that’s made me feel hungry!

1 Like

When I deep fry, like I did yesterday, I use rapeseed oil, I cooked chicken wings, dipped in egg then flour, I always marinate my chicken first.they come out beautiful and crispy, made a sweet chilli sauce to drip over the wings, “ delicious “

I change the oil, after the second batch of whatever I’m cooking.

1 Like

Bloody hell, my deep fryer used over 3.5 litres of oil, how on earth do you throw that much oil away after two cooks?

That is another appliance that sits in my laundry unused since the kids left home.

1 Like