What Evokes True Feelings For You?

I just finished watching A Secret Affair (1990) , movie based on a Barbara Taylor Bradford book. Although it was rated a three-star film, I was hooked from the beginning. The main actors were so real, the topic was finding your true love when not even looking for it.

A quote from this movie I won’t soon forget… “Heaven is knowing your loved ones hold you in their heart forever.”

Something in this film broke open feelings I haven’t felt in a decade or more. A person like myself daily makes comments, observations about the opposite sex, almost always adding, “just neutrally speaking, of course”, knowing I’ve felt love, lust, friendship, companionship, spontaneous attractions, all during my adult years. But this time…I felt those feelings again!

Have you lately realized these intense feelings that were so available when you were younger? Or maybe even last year? Had you suddenly recalled the intenseness, warmth, sharing with a spouse or loved one? Wow. Just wow.

Please share. I hope there are more than a few of you out there who know exactly what I am trying to convey.

3 Likes

Oh Yes I am and always have been an emotional bod. Music I love and have had many periods where I cannot even contemplate listening to certain tracks…Wow the pain is so strong but at normal every day vibes I can throw myself into another world and enjoy what I hear.
Happiness is a source that one wants to tap into for sure. And I do these days.
If someone was to sing this to me I would melt.
…Please don’t though I’d hate the bubble to burst.

1 Like

example from a film…nothing escapes from our emotions. Maybe it makes us what we are.
Can’t help knowing some of known peoples history. that is a hard thing to take at times but I know it is also part of the cruel side of life that we have to take on board.

songs that are connected to films and shows & musicals of course…just emotional to me but mostly they make for good vibes.

There’s a film that had a similar effect on me, @RightNow, and that’s “The Notebook” based on a Nicholas Sparks romance, set in the 40s in S. Carolina. It may seem like a soppy teenage love story at the beginning, Romeo and Juliet style , but it isn’t at all. The narrator is fantastic in portraying their whole life story right up until the present day. I hadn’t read the book, so I don’t know if it was the great director Nick Cassavetes and a wonderful interpretation by Ryan Gosling and Rachel McAdams who managed to evoke so many emotions in me, but it definitely did! Not to mention the moving Zigman soundtrack, music which tugged at my heartstrings.

4 Likes

Well, you sold me on the movie. That’s sounds like a pretty fantastic movie. I’ll have to check it out.

I was pretty sure that I had read a Barbara Taylor Bradford book when I was young, but I don’t remember which one.

2 Likes

Meh, emotions are just a result of hormonal imbalances. I’m over them for good, thank the gods. The last 20 years have been so much simpler and neater without them. :smile:

You have no emotions? Are you Vulcan? :thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t think you can just blame hormones…certainly complex is ‘Us’ and I know how my mood swings are likely to be more hormone related but they don’t just disappear so one day your very balanced…dull even…My upsets have often been family related as I would say I have a very dysfunctional family …too personnel of course to talk about them of course really…but can say when my Mother passed I did not send flowers or go to the Funeral either…My lovely Dad of course I would and did and I sobbed my heart out in the church and everybody seemed to be turning and looking at me that did not help…
So that’s all I should say now…hormones mmmm mixed opinion here

2 Likes

@Rose2 , Nicholas Sparks is one of the best writers of our time! The Notebook is a classic, my favorite of his, and I have also seen the movie. There are those that can tell a story and we feel it, the empathy, and others simply use the words, but no tugs on your heartstrings.

2 Likes

Barbara Taylor Bradford can also tell a story well. I’ve read several of her books over the years, but this movie has the ability to relate her emotional needs as well as feelings. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed in the movie version. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

@spitfire , you won’t need Mr. Manilow crooning a tune for two hours if you can find that feeling.
You’ll find it all on your own when it washes over you. And…you’ll be glad for it!

1 Like

Yes, life is simpler when you don’t have to deal with feelings of the heart, just act on your common sense. I know. I did it for a decade myself. But somehow, at some point when you least expect it, a glimmer of emotion creeps inside. You can’t avoid it, Tachyon. You know I’m right.

1 Like

@DianneWoollie , yes, no need to comment to you. You’ve the feelings, and someone else’s. I would bet you’d like to give half of them back to whoever shared theirs with you! If you’d like, I’ll keep an eye out.
BTW, music draws out feelings. Perhaps some quiet time might help?

After 20 happy years I won’t be changing. I’m too used to doing what I want, when I want and how I want. There’s nothing I need that a spouse or partner can provide for me. It was fine when I was younger, what with marriage and kids and so forth, but that’s a closed chapter now. Having a woman in my life these days would waste my time and hers.

2 Likes

To be honest, I’m quite an emotional person and its the little things which move me… unexpected kindness, or a sudden view opening up around the corner when walking can move me to tears. I find life incredibly funny, and incredibly sad, and love reading or hearing stories about children or animals doing amazing things to help others.

Conversely, although I have enjoyed many movies and books, I think the only one which made me cry was The Green Mile.

2 Likes

I love music it is my life in a lot of ways…and yes sures does get the emotions going Righnow but cant ever give it up…My sister has the same dx of Hashimoto’s as myself and her daughter also but we are all different as is often the case with these diseases…I had a real bad depressive spell and the hospital said was the thyroids fault take these pills…no way was I taking meds for something that should settle…,I am very against drugs and prefer natural remedies,…was real bad at the time though byut moved on luckily and get moody now, only touch wood…yes Husband calls me names lol and I deserve it. Superbrat is fine!

2 Likes

@RightNow There is a song that does far more that stir me, because as a father to four girls and with a wife I adore beyond words, this song grips me like no other.

4 Likes

@PixieKnuckles , we may be long lost twins! Any small act of kindness is apt to bring the wetness to my cheeks, anywhere, at any time. These are genuine emotions, aren’t we lucky enough to be able to experience them and not be trying to hide them? :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes