What Do You Like, Or Dislike, About The Sea?

Here, in the UK, we’re surrounded by it.

Others get to know it by going on Holiday by it, or on it.

Some spend much of their lives working on it.

Do you regard it as a big cuddly friend, or have you had experiences which make you want to stay well clear.

For me, I’ve experienced most of the above, up to, and including worrying about survival, when working on a ship, plus some positives like :-
Seeing some amazing sunsets
Seeing flocks of birds, blown off their migration course, swarming all over a ship, out on the Ocean.
Whales shouting Hello (not in Welsh)
Small Islands covered, all over, with small crabs.
Swimming in the Suez Canal.
Seeing the stars, above, with nothing in between!

And many more.

How about you?

3 Likes

Oooh… loads of things I like about the sea, rock pooling, boat trips, postcards, pier fishing and beach casting, that seaweed smell to name but a few. I lived in Brighton twenty years ago for a decade, a bit manic during the summer but lovely during the Autumn and dead peaceful during the Winter.

Raw sewage… that’s something I dislike about the sea, especially the way things are at the moment :cry:

2 Likes

Yes, Cb, I was. also, brought up by the sea.

Loved it (but didn’t think so at the time).

2 Likes

From Vladopedia
Interesting thing about the sea is that sharks live in it.
Interesting thing about sharks is that they only attack wet people.
Tip avoid it

3 Likes

Does anyone else Gasp, when looking out of the holiday plane window, at the huge sea down below?

1 Like

Beach holidays are just not my thing especially the hideously overcrowded El Sol beaches. I have been to the North Sea and to a few icebreakers - all business.

1 Like

I agree with all of the things said so far, but have to admit that it also scares the living hell out of me at times. So big, so powerful, and when I swim in it, there are so many things lurking around in it that I can’t see but which I know could do me serious harm or death.

2 Likes

Just imagine how it feels, to be a little tiddler, looking, nervously up, at us bashing our way past!

:mermaid: :snowboarder: :rowing_man: :footprints:

1 Like

Oh come on Dex, next you’ll be telling us you believe in sea monsters :wink:
Mind you some of those mega marine faeces can be nasty, very nasty indeed!

Anyway, that’s the last time I’m going mention sewage.
This is actually quite an uplifting topic :+1:

2 Likes

I’ll be asking you to name your favourite sea shanty in a short while!

:rowing_man: :face_vomiting:

2 Likes

Bound for South Australia, had it on compilation of Shantys cassette many moons ago :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

And that’s only the skin!

3 Likes
4 Likes

About 15 years ago, my wife and I were flying to visit her Family, in Rockingham.

She shook me awake and said, “Do you remember all of those exaggerated, Bullspit, stories, of yours, about tankers queuing for miles, at Pulau Bukham? - Well! There they are”

I looked out of the window and there they all were, still queuing, wondered if my old mates were down there.

What a memory!

2 Likes

I tell you what I don’t like about the SEA…i .loody well nearly drowned in it, many years ago, I was in Spain…I have great respect for the SEA after that terrifying experience and have never been in it since, only to paddle.

1 Like

I am a great respecter of the SEA, since I nearly drowned in it, I wasn’t as good a swimmer as I thought I was and it was pulling me out to sea, how I managed to get back, only God knows, never been back in it since, only to paddle.

1 Like

I love the sea, swimming in salt water, walking on golden beaches …

But I’m dreaming of Portugal, not Britannia.

1 Like

I, like Pauline have the greatest respect for the sea. Up here on the edge of the Atlantic the waves are really big. We have the cold water surfing championships here in April and they come from all over the world to compete. It’s such cold water and no way would I swim in it, but I’m very drawn to it and spend a lot of time walking beside it with the dog. One wee cove I favour has huge waves crashing in all the time, I love exploring the sea caves and I knew there was a big one round some rocks but couldn’t get to it, untill one day the tide was so far out I could, god was that a mistake, I spent too much time in the cave and the tide cut me and the dog off, we had to go for it though and somehow we made it back to the main bit, I had to keep a hell of a grip on his collar or he’d have been gone, I thought my arms were going to be yanked off with the force, I was soaked through by the time we got back and the water had been almost at my waist in moments. It was terrifying and I could hardly drive home for cold and fear and shaking. Both of us could have lost our lives that day and I’ll never be so stupid again. I learned my lesson. I still go to the cove often as I love it there, but we just putter about on the beach and in the caves we can safely use.
The middle photo is where we got in bother, the cave is around those rocks.

4 Likes

I live only 400yds from the sea. It’s just a big blue wobbly thing with fish in it.

4 Likes

My wife once told me I reminded her of the sea
“ is it because I’m mysterious brooding and a bit dangerous., “ I asked
“ no “ she said “ “ it’s because you make me sick”.

6 Likes