What Do You Like, Or Dislike, About The Sea?

It’s wet

I love the sea, it’s my element, to swim in, sail on or just sit and watch. It’s definitely not cuddly, more powerful and an uncontrollable and a force unto itself

I’ve nearly drowned 3 times in my life, but if that’s my fate, so be it, it’s worth it

1 Like

I like to look at it from the safety of dry land.

1 Like

I love the sea, even though it’s cruel and waits for no one.
I was born by the sea in Clonakilty, lreland and was always down there paddling.
I love when l am by the sea, especially when it’s rough and lashing against the rocks.
I love the sea when it’s blue as blue can be, calm and tranquil.

1 Like

Every morning I open the curtains a there it is the sea …I think how can I be this lucky .

The view is never the same ,the colours change from blues to purples to greys …ships come and go .
I love the white horses wild with foam or days when my sea is as blue as the mediterranean.
Then there are times when the fog rolls in stealing my view of the sea.
It’s very comforting to lay in bed listening to the sea.

Yes it’s easy to be hypnotised by the sea

2 Likes

It’s not the sea I dislike, it’s the SAND. I hate sand , it gets everywhere. It would get into the car after visiting the beach with the kids, my son would bring it home on his surf board. Apart from anything else loose sand is so hard to walk on.

Sounds awful doesn’t it I am not even keen on the pure white sand of Jervis Bay.

When I lived in Folkestone (Kent) I preferred the shingle beach to the “Sunny Sands”, apart from anything else the water got deeper quicker. Once upon a time I was a good swimmer, I think I had a certificate from school for swimming one mile so the sea itself held no fears.

2 Likes

I have lived by the sea most of my life , when I see it from my car or bus window I see it is made up of trillions of diamonds , they shimmer and glisten and sparkle, the beach clean, and soft sand for the families to come play in the summer . My children now grown loved it as do their children .

I lived by the red sea as a kid , terrified to put a toe into the water as warned of sharks and other killers by my parents , but we were safe to swim in designated places fenced off for safety . Occasionally a Claxton would go off and we ran for our lifes out of the water as a shark or other killer had broken through the fencing , after awhile the Claxon would sound all was safe and we would run back into the warm water.

I like the sea from a boat or cruise ship but I won’t swim in it

1 Like

When I first came to Australia in the first week I went to Manly beach. I heard this bell being rung and wondered what it was for. I soon realised that I was the only person in the water with everybody else standing at the water’s edge.

Personally I think a bell was a very low key shark warning and a klazon would have been far more appropriate

3 Likes

When the Claxton went off men in boats would go out to the fencing area and fix any holes or clear any sharks , stingrays or other dangers , I’ve no idea how , it was all very exciting and we were never scared , straight back in until.the next time .

Our house was only meters away from the edge of the water or seemed that way to me a 10 year old kid , I was terrified as I walked at the edge as had heard horror stories of people being taken in shallow water .

This was Aden around 1960 ish

1 Like

In those days the lifesavers went out in a rubber ducky out to ‘herd’ the shark away, these days it is a jet ski.

Currently there is a big push to remove the shark nets from beaches because they are so ineffective, sharks are often caught on the inside of the net heading out to sea and the by catch is horrendous (rays dolphins etc). Wollongong council has already asked that nets near its beaches be removed and replaced with drum lines.

1 Like

Yes, the sea… One time I was in South Africa at Durban. I drifted and before I realised I was struggling to get to the shore. Of course I was exhausted and fell the shore - and got serious sunburn.

Puts me off a bit when it’s crowded like this but I love the sea. As the son of a naval officer who always put in for an overseas posting, I always lived near the sea, be it Bermuda, Singapore and then New Zealand where we ended up when he retired.

2 Likes

Yep, I had crowds like that too.