What do you like/dislike about Charles?

Never liked him because of Diana story.

I liked his genuine speech yesterday and my heart went out to him. He was very visibly heartbroken with the death of his mother.

Whilst I don’t like him I do wish him.the best in filling those huge boots of his beautiful mother’s. I dont envy him the job

1 Like

I don’t dislike Charles in fact I agree with lots of his principles.
However it’s the obscene privilege of monarchy the house of Windsor that I disapprove of.
Charles in my opinion should be the last monarch.
William is young enough to carve out a career for himself whilst Kate could get a few pies down her !

3 Likes

Having just watched a little bit of his ascension to the crown, I’m confused by his swearing to uphold the protestant religion when he is supposed to be defender of the faiths. What does this actually mean? Anyone?

Hi

Hope this helps

1 Like

Thanks Swimmy! For some reason I thought of it as being defender of all faiths, so was a bit perplexed when he just mentioned one. Thanks for that :smiley:

In a Speech at Lambeth Palace in 2012, the Queen said this

“The concept of our established church is occasionally misunderstood and, I believe, commonly under-appreciated.

"Its role is not to defend Anglicanism to the exclusion of other religions.

“Instead, the church has a duty to protect the free practice of all faiths in this country.”

——

In 1994, Charles triggered controversy when he said he would be defender of faith rather than Defender of the Faith, in a desire to reflect Britain’s religious diversity. There were suggestions that the coronation oath might be altered.

In 2015, he clarified his position in a BBC interview, saying his views had been misinterpreted. He said: “As I tried to describe, I mind about the inclusion of other people’s faiths and their freedom to worship in this country. And it’s always seemed to me that, while at the same time being Defender of the Faith, you can also be protector of faiths.”

He pointed out that the Queen had said her role was “not to defend Anglicanism to the exclusion of other religions. Instead, the Church [of England] has a duty to protect the free practice of all faiths in this country. I think in that sense she was confirming what I was really trying to say – perhaps not very well – all those years ago.”

——

So it seems that King Charles shares the same interpretation and opinion as Queen Elizabeth about protecting the freedom of faith.

I was going to remark that Defender of the Faith is on the UK coins FID DEF from memory as the head of the Church of England. For example it doesn’t appear on Australian coins because we are a secular society.

The title FD Fidel Defensor ( Defender of the Faith ) was given to Henry V111 by the pope in 1521.
It’s was the Catholic Faith
This was of course before he met Anne Boleyn

2 Likes

There is no such place as the City of Cornwall .
The Duchy of Cornwall is a massive portfolio of properties etc which provide the income for the heir to the throne . This will now go to Prince William .

3 Likes

Treachery!

Doesn’t the Authorised Version of the Bible warn about the Papists and their heretical ways?

Yep, here it is…

It starts off:

TO THE MOST HIGH AND MIGHTY PRINCE JAMES, [BY THE GRACE OF GOD,] KING OF GREAT BRITAIN, FRANCE, AND IRELAND, DEFENDER OF THE FAITH, &c.

…and ends with…

So that if, on the one side, we shall be traduced by Popish Persons at home or abroad, who therefore will malign us, because we are poor instruments to make God’s holy Truth to be yet more and more known unto the people, whom they desire still to keep in ignorance and darkness; or if, on the other side, we shall be maligned by selfconceited Brethren, who run their own ways, and give liking unto nothing, but what is framed by themselves, and hammered on their anvil; we may rest secure, supported within by the truth and innocency of a good conscience, having walked the ways of simplicity and integrity, as before the Lord; and sustained without by the powerful protection of Your Majesty’s grace and favour, which will ever give countenance to honest and Christian endeavors against bitter censures and uncharitable imputations.

There is nothing like a bit of Christianity to set you off on the straight and narrow.

Anyone else notice how tetchy he was during the signing because the pen holder was in his way?

3 Likes

I’m afraid I didn’t watch it. I turned on the TV to watch the 7pm News and there was some gathering of the Privy council and a Hokey Cokey line of ex British Prime Ministers declaring him King. I watched it for a couple of minutes to see if the news was going to start before turning it off.

I did, but to be fair it must have been stressful time for him, and he has had a lot to deal with in the last couple of days
Anyway, he is now the King so you would have thought they could give him a bigger desk. :laughing:

I’ll leave it to Spike Milligan.

Yea, how’s he supposed to operate with all that clutter on the table?

It’s been said he’s got a sense of humour, so perhaps that look is a Goon thing.

Moment King Charles III furiously motions for aide to move ink pot as he signs proclamation - YouTube

Ah! Great minds …

I thought the most stupid thing was when the Privy council signed the proclamation, they each picked up the pen, took off the cap, signed the form, put the cap back on, put it back in the pen holder and made way for the next person who repeated the performance

Why on earth didn’t they just hand the pen to the next person or even better just bring their own bloody pen?

1 Like

He even nicked the pen, he took the pen that was next to the document he was signing, signed, put the cap on and put it in his inside pocket :flushed:cheeky bugger must have thought he was in Argos

1 Like

If he hadn’t it would have been on Ebay the next day. Actually I just watched the video and he got the pen from his own pocket so at least he thought to provide his own.

Ahh you are right, my mistake, it was nice to see and hear it all, history in the making and live on tv.
I am looking forward in a sad sort of way to the state funeral and the coronation, the pomp and circumstance is something we seem to do well.

1 Like