What do the grandchildren call you?

If you’ve got grandchildren, what do they call you!

A lot of my friends aren’t granny, gran, nanny, nan, grandma etc now

The grandkids call them by cute names like Iggy, nonny and yaya and the Queen was GanGan?

Is it the fashion now? Do you think it’s because they don’t want to sound old?

I think it’s rather a shame, if I ever have grandchildren I’m going to be granny :older_woman:

2 Likes

Nanny

1 Like

I’m gran and my OH is granda.

1 Like

The 5 year old twins have always called me ‘Nanna Egg’ mistaking Meg for egg, the other 3 call me Nanna Meg and the other female grandparent is Nanny Anne :smiley:

1 Like

Grannies don’t always get the choice of what their grandchildren call them, though!

My grandchildren call me “Nana” - I have always disliked that word and would have much preferred to be called Granny or Grandma but they call their other Grandmother “Granny” and my daughter-in-law decided I would be “Nana”

My youngest grandkid was 18 this month, so I’ve had plenty of time to get used to being called Nana. I still don’t really like the name but as long as they keep in touch with me, I don’t mind what they call me.

1 Like

Gramps. Or is it Grumps? Never quite sure.

1 Like

I’m pops and mrs J is nonna

1 Like

It’s Grandpa here. When and if my oh so busy teenage Granddaughters bother to talk to me.

1 Like

I’m Nana, as was my mother, and both my grandmothers. Mr B is Grandpa to one family and Grandda to the other, because the little one couldn’t pronounce Grandpa, so Grandda stuck.

When I was little, there didn’t seem to be this nonsense there is today about 'oh well my mum’s going to be Nana so you’ll have to be Nanny/Granny/Grandma etc. Both my grandmothers were Nana, with their surname added on, so Nana Brown and Nana Green (not their real names). Probably a bit formal for today, but why not Nana Jane and Nana Sue? We never got confused as children.

1 Like

Well, it’s not something you’d want to argue about or cause bad feeling over, it’s not really important

It’s up to the parents really, and the children themselves and often names stick when children mispronounce

My brother is still known as Mice-eee in some circles because as a bane he couldn’t pronounce Michael

I just got the impressions that some of my friends were choosing what they wanted to be called and going for a ‘cool’ name rather than the traditional

Both my grandmothers were granny, I can’t ever remember getting confused as a child?

2 Likes

My Grandkids all call me “Grandad”

My own grandfather was “Pom Pom” because I couldn’t say Grandfather - or at least that is what I am told, I don’t remember.

1 Like

My grandsons call the wife Nanny Jen and call me Bampi Mike…Bampi being a Welsh term for Grampy

1 Like

I am called Grandma by my grandchildren,and nanny by my step grandchildren.

1 Like

My Granddaughter is 22 now and has always called me Nanny Noo, my Grandson is almost 20 and used to call me Nanna in his younger days but now calls me Nan.

Mr M has always been Grandpa. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am called Grandma. That’s what l wanted.
My 4 year old granddaughter sometimes calls me by my first name which is fine by me!

My ex husband will only be called by his first name.

The little ones Nanny and the older ones Nan.

Nanna and Grandad.

If i had any i would be gran and other half grandpa.

Not sure it is a fashion I just think that people are just more relaxed and less formal maybe.
My cousins called their grandpa grandma yoyo and yaya.
I guess gangan is probably a toddler failed attempt to say granny and it stayed as such…such names are probably all mostly invented by toddlers.

My cousin heard everyone calling their granddad JOJO for Georges and could not pronounced j so it became yoyo and all the other kids followed and yoyo’s wife then was named yaya. :joy:

I remember my cheeky middle son trying to call me by my first name so I told him if he didn’t like “Dad” he could call me “Sir”. He still does to this day :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Cheeky sod!

1 Like