What cookware do you use?

My latest favourite way of cooking meat @Azz is to pan fry for a few mins, then pan goes under a hot grill for 5 mins. Nothing new about this, Ainsley did it on Ready Steady Cook 25 years ago. I’ve done it recently with bangers, duck breasts, pork shoulder chops …

My next purchase might be a frying pan with removeable handle to go in oven rather than under grill.

2 Likes

If you use a cast iron or carbon steel pan then a couple of minutes either side results in a perfect steak imo :003:

You can get De Buyer carbon steel pans with stainless steel handles that can be used in the oven. I ordered a 32cm inch version of this but felt it was a bit too big for what I wanted (I already have a 36cm version and I’d use that instead of the 32cm)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NSHWEHE/?coliid=I127RCFWSO2XPZ&colid=37VFRKUH0WPV0&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

The one I want is the 28cm version - that way it would fit nicely in between my 24cm and 36cm versions.

2 Likes

I prefer George for steaks in minutes using low energy

1 Like

Had one for a few years, but it was a nightmare to clean every nook and cranny!

2 Likes

Hi Azz, what would you cook in the oven ,in that pan?

Just being curious, anything open to the heat of the oven will surely dry everything out.:blush:

Same with the toasted sandwich maker, what a job cleaning that as well.

2 Likes

Mine has removable plates - I just add them to the washing up. The rest of the toaster is given a rub down with kitchen roll. :smiley_cat: :smiley_cat:

1 Like

Classic example of using a steel pan to cook something as a frying pan, then finish the cooking in the oven, would be breast of duck. The hard heat of the frying pan is used to colour the meat & render the fat and then the gentler heat of the oven cooks the meat through (pink please for me).
Steaks, pork fillet, and other thicker cuts can be done in the same way.
An alternative, for the foodies, is to sous vide the meat first to tenderise it and then pan fry for a short time to give it colour.

1 Like

Mind you, those cooled cheese crispy bits that you manage to prize off are delicious.

3 Likes

Is it coated in teflon? If so wouldn’t touch that with a barge pole Annie!

I mainly use a cast iron casserole dish Pauline :smiley: ceramic dishes or enamel baking trays are also good.

This is my go to tho:

https://www.johnlewis.com/le-creuset-signature-cast-iron-oval-casserole/cerise/p5295601?size=29cm

They have a lifetime warranty (or at least they used to) and they make a huge difference in how food tastes imo :023:

1 Like

Definitely right about the earthen cookware, when I can afford it, I am going to do my research and invest in good quality cookware.:+1:

1 Like

I have a wife .best cookware one can have

1 Like

Sainsburys do significantly cheaper cast iron casseroles Pauline - they are pretty good from what I remember:

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/sainsburys-home-47l-cast-iron-oval-casserole-dish-orange-131413471-p

I bought my Le Crueset casserole many years ago for about £140 iirc, I can’t believe they are more than double that now!!! The Sainsbury’s version is just £29! Well worth a look :023:

3 Likes

Where are those manufactured, Azz?

1 Like

Naughty - but probably true! :smiley_cat:

No idea ST…

£300 for a casserole dish :joy: Oh my word…I can’t even think of anything to say to this.

2 Likes

They do indeed but they would be inferior to the earthen cookware that you have, i looked your brand up, they have doubled in price.

You know what though, I could pick those casserole dishes up in a charity shop, I’ve seen them in their shops, like a fool I never thought to buy it…I won’t be passing them by again, …:+1:

1 Like

Take a shopping trolley with you - they are very heavy.

Just checked…Lakeland doesn’t stock a wide range of le creuset, so you might not have to remortgage :wink: