Money Saving Tips!

Food and fuel to cook it are essentials - telephones, mobiles, and broadband are not - they are luxuries and will be the first to go from my house if push comes to shove!

Another one of my tips (depending on what you think of eating it) is to eat more steak :lol: It takes a few minutes to cook, whereas cooking something in the oven can take an hour or more - that every day can rack up!

I’m on a carnivore diet atm so steak fits in very well - and it’s so convenient, no more slaving away in the kitchen for hours :003:

1 Like

I didn’t know this. I mean I have heard of chitterlings, mainly from novels but I have never come across anyone eating them. Mind you there are no butchers on high streets any more and if they do exist they are very “gentrified” and expensive.

Funnily enough I am planning to make a roast chicken in the air fryer for this reason. It’s not the same but maybe it will be quite nice (if I don’t cremate it!)

1 Like

I recommend pan fried mackerel. Very nutritious and cooks in minutes. Also still cheap to buy. Very nice with a simple salad and a squeeze of lemon.

2 Likes

10 posts were split to a new topic: What cookware do you use?

Refill spray bottles using your own mix (plenty of recipes online which use stuff you might already have around the house), or if you’ve got a big bottle of eg flash, dilute this down for a general surface spray cleaner.

Judging by recent purchases, supermarket suppliers have already taken this idea to heart.

2 Likes

I use soapnuts for things like laundry, dishes, and general cleaning. A mixture of this and lemon juice in an empty schooshy bottle does the job and smells lovely. Kitchen and bathroom floors get a going over with diluted bleach, and windows get done with vinegar.

Saw you discuss soapnuts a few weeks ago. So they work then?

Oh absolutely…they come with two little zip up bags so you don’t get nuts in everything. They have Saponin in their shells which is a natural cleaning detergent. I just get a handful and put in some water, shake it up, empty it into the dispenser I’m using, then add a scoosh of lemon juice.

2 Likes

Excellent. Any recommended supplier/shop, or do you Amazon them?

I “Amazoned” them

1 Like

We’ve had a Santander account for ages. No doubt there’ll be better ones out there, but they’ve informed us tgat they’ll be giving us 4% cashback on our utility bills for a couple of months (instead of the usual 2%).

There may be other banks tgat do this sort of thing, so might be worth having a look round.

I bought a laundry egg earlier this year but there’s just as much cost in replacing beads and you still need fabric conditioner unless you like clothes and towels like sackcloth.

I do they dry better and exfoliate at the same time :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have one of those dry skin brushes for that.

I did wonder about laundry eggs as they are on offer at Sainsburys

I wasn’t terribly impressed but some people swear by them. I just swear at them because it cost £11 and I don’t use it!

1 Like

I have one but haven’t used it much I always forget it’s there but they are ok

1 Like