What books are you reading now?

Gentle Eating

The Lost Continent by Bill Bryson. He really has a downer on American Tourists with cameras.

Finished this last night - The Great War was such a terrible waste of life yet we still haven’t learned from it!

I’m now on Odysseus - The Oath, a 2-parter by Valerio Massimo Manfredi, one of my favourite authors.

I’m hoping it’s as good as most of the others I have read by him.
The Alexander trilogy was a detailed look at Alexander’s awe-inspiring life. stevmk2

You all put me to shame. You are reading clever stuff to eddukate your mind. Me I read sumfink borin to send me to sleep.

I read all sorts of books but true crime and biographies are my favourites and Bobby Fischer, the chess player, was a really complex character, very interesting.

I think War and Peace might put me to sleep…

Yes I thought so as well… But I don’t think that I could face reading it again

The mind, when reading is a funny thing. When I was younger I read the Lord of the Rings even before it became popular. I read all of the Russian Classics including the Brother’s Karamazov by Dostoyevsky and Madame Bovary the French writer Gustave Flaubert. One of the first books I read was a Tale of Two Cities and I know I was very young when I read that. I loved the Man in the Iron Mask.
Now I am reading about people moving to Spain to breed Llamas. A pleasant enough easy read. However, some incredibly brain numbing literature passing as bed time reading is about all I can manage now. Good Grief even corn flake packaging is more of an intelligent read than some of the garbage that now I digest.
Why is this? has my brain become addled with life? or as I suspect, I have dumbed down with age.

Funny you should say this. I read a few books by Solzhenitsyn when I was in my late teens. In particular A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovitch, Cancer Wars, and the Gulag Archipelago, and I remember being incensed that the rest of the world was doing nothing about these things. Now I doubt I could get through the first few chapters.

I think this is more because we have become used to our ‘stories’ coming in one or two hour visual chunks where we have no need to think or imagine stuff as it is all there laid out for us.

I am now reading The Stranger Beside Me - Ann Rule about the murderer Ted Bundy, true crime for a change…

I’ve been dipping in and out of
‘iMacs for Dummies’

Still can’t get my Photoshop CS5 to work though

Sounds a riveting read, Rachel - Far too advanced for me, I bet…:slight_smile:

Ive seen the film of that ,it was quite gruesome and sad .

Me too … lol but it was a present and I do need to know a bit more about what I’m doing

Can’t wait for the film to come out :smiley:

“The Road” by Cormack McCarthy, just finished it, it was very good, about a man and his young son walking through America after the apocalypse. The last couple of sentences made me quite annoyed though. Won’t tell you what in case you want to read it.

:lol::lol: Now why don’t I believe that…

Hmmmmmm … Not calling me a fibber are you ?:shock:

Lol

It’s got me interested but I am a bit worried about a duff ending.

I got 2 books of short stories today at a charity shop, one by Joanne Harris and the other by Richard Russo.

Would I be so rude?! :blush: Seriously, I wish I was more techy minded but I can only grasp the basics - it’s me age, you know…

Mostly, I’m just not interested in computer stuff (boring as Hell) and I have always had problem following written instructions.

I’m 'good wiv me ‘ands mista’ … lol but reading/understanding written instructions sometimes makes me panic and my brain can not assimilate/interpret

It wasn’t a duff ending just didn’t like it, as I’m not into the god thing.