What book are you currently reading?

Heart of Darkness ~ Joseph Conrad.

It is actually a university textbook - but a very informative first hand account of the slave trade in the Congo, Africa

1 Like

Hostage by Clare Mackintosh
Best not read it if you’re thinking of flying anytime soon!

The Mitford Murders by Jessica Fellowes. I picked it up in a charity shop, (where I get most of my books from) because I am fascinated by the Mitford sisters, and love Nancy Mitford’s books, and thought the late Dowager Duchess of Devonshire (gosh how alliterative) the most terrific Hon. This is just a bit of nonsense escapism, not over impressed with it, but shall finish it.

I just read “Eden Paradox” Wow best Sci-fi I ever read. The book is full of unusual events

3 Likes

Welcome to OFC! I hope you enjoy your time here! :wave:

That’s sounds like an interesting read - thanks!

3 Likes

Thankyou, nice to be here.

2 Likes

gutenberg.org has millions of free Ebooks. and if you have a windows tablet you can read as text & get free Ebook apps to alter fonts or enlarge etc…

archive.org also has millions of free books and online reading, you will find every old book under the sun on here

I am just starting “Firestorm” by Greg Mullins former Commissioner Fire and Rescue NSW. He and other ex firefighters had been warning for years that the nature of bush fires was changing. Basically they were told to shut up by various governments until the Giga fire of 2019/20 when the east coast of NSW was alight virtually from border to border. It should be a good read.

Just finished reading The Beekeeper of Aleppo.

Well worth the effort and useful to remind oneself that not every asylum seeker is a selfish bugger.

1 Like

Also read Harlan Cohen’s “Win”.

What was particularly fascinating was how the style of self expression compared so closely to that which one of the long-term members on here uses as well

I found that very moving.

1 Like

Me too.

On a technical point, I read it on a kindle and the book ended at 95%, which was interesting since I’d still been wondering where things were going to evolve onto when, suddenly, it stopped!!

But still a very moving story. There but for the grace of God go many of us, eh?

1 Like

I just finished binge reading “Lee Child” or Jim Grant whichever you prefer. I read the entire Jack Reacher Series second time in 5 years. Now I am perusing:
466b96b4-889b-4660-b58e-f4ce8b1bc1d1

Not sure how far 95% is, but by the end he is reunited with Mustafa and his family, waiting to be granted asylum, and hoping to be able one day to return to a peaceful Syria.

May I recommend All the light we cannot see by Anthony Doerr.

2 Likes

Ah, you misunderstood. My kindle said I’d read 95% of the book whereas in reality I’d read 100% and hence the ending you refer to.

The remaining 5% seemed to be mostly an extract from another book by the author. Most novels I’ve ever read on a kindle tend to end around the 98-100% point.

Anyway, it was just a technical point.

Thanks for your suggestion. Will have a look at it. Am reading “The Couple at Number 9”, which is pleasant enough, before embarking on Dave Eggers “The Every” (he wrote The Circle, if that helps identify the genre)

“A Bridge to the Son” by Gwen Teresaki

The autobiography of an American girl who marries a Japanese diplomat shortly before the beginning of WW2. It is an incredible story. There was a film of the same name released in the 1960s - but I always felt that - as with most films - there was more to it than was shown. The book was out of print for some years - so it took a while to find a copy - but I am so glad that I did. The film concentrated on the romance, the differences in culture, and rather ‘sanitized’ the politics and the troubles the couple faced following the attack on Pearl Harbour. It seems to want to show America as the ‘good guys’ and the Japanese as ‘baddies’, whereas - in truth - nothing is ever so clearly defined. The book leaves nothing out on either side - it is brutal, romantic, horrific, and fascinating all at the same time. It is one I shall treasure and read over again.

I originally saw the film in the cinema in 1960 something - subsequently bought the DVD - which I still have and watch from time to time - but the book is really special. Their daughter, Mariko, lived and worked in America until her death in 2016, age 84.

Just finished my third Danielle Steel book, luv 'em, and have now started one called - “Take a Chance on Me” by Debbie Flint. Just a bit of light hearted reading before bed.
Can’t really get into it much yet, though, but will persevere a bit longer.

I sometimes have a couple of books on the go at once, depends on how I feel.
I also have a lot of reference books, alternative therapy type books, spiritual books, and veterinary books. etc.

I laid eyes on a paperback of Catcher in The Rye by JD Salinger, and have snatched it up to read it again.
Again, I was hooked by the second page, and am quite enjoying the read.

I have never read that one - must do some day!

1 Like