What Are The Advantages And The Disadvantages Of The Hot Weather?

For me the advantages of this spell of hot weather are… Washing dries very quickly and l don’t need to mow my lawn!

The disadvantages, are having to water my plants that are really struggling in the heat.
The worst one was when l opened the box of chocolates my daughter’s boyfriend brought me when they visited me a few weeks ago.
I just fancied some chocolate and remembered l had the chocolates. When l received them l put them in the fridge as they had travelled from London in his car on a hot day. I then put them in a cool cupboard.

Well… you can imagine my shock and horror when l opened the lovely chocolates.

I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry!

So l ask… what do you think are the advantages and disadvantages of this very hot weather?

4 Likes

I can’t really think of any advantages of extreme heat, Art.
The disadvantages would outweigh them easily.

People are suffering, some becoming hospitalised.
Animals are suffering with exhaustion and dehydration.
Plants and greenery are suffering.
Fires start easily and spread quickly.
Rivers and reservoirs are drying up, and this in turn, will affect all the life that lives in them.

So no, I can’t really think of any good side to these heatwaves.

5 Likes

I feel exactly the same, Mups

Me too - hate it!!

Advantages - it isn’t raining

Disadvantages - none :+1:

Ok, that’s a bit flippant I know. This heat goes from zero to 100 in a matter of hours, and we simply don’t get time to acclimatise to it enough to enjoy it. I’m not a sunny weather person, in that I can spend time in the sun, but I do enjoy having the windows & door open and being able to potter around as I like. I suffer from S.A.D so a bit of sunshine makes me really happy.

2 Likes

Apart from a swim in the sea which is perfect this time of year or eating ice cream without guilt :smirk:
Sitting out late at night Bat watching .Not having to run the central heating

I can’t think of anymore advantages in a heatwave .
Disadvantages those are chocolates wrecked
I keep my kit Kats in the fridge

1 Like

Not having to decide whether to wear a coat or not and getting wet on the Alf walk, I hate the wet and cold, it won’t be long before its here again.

I hope you didn’t throw away the chocolates!
Chop it all up and eat bit by bit, bet the flavour is yummy!

2 Likes

That happened to me as well. I’m not a fan of Guylian chocs tho, mine were Cadburys. :grin:

Advantages… car boot sales & clothing does dry fast.
Disadvantages…far too hot this Summer, I really don’t like the heat. An hour at a car boot & I’m done. No energy to do housework. Oh! Wait! tho, feel like that all year round. :grin:

2 Likes

Totally agree.

Wanted to give you a ‘like’ - but the Bot says I have exceeded my limit already!

Listen stupid Bot - I like Carol’s post - so there!!

1 Like

Nice one!

Is that a promise?

Now the stupid Bot is telling me I have replied to too many posts!! I am out of here before I lose my temper.

No advantages that I can see …
I feel a prisoner in my house unable to go out after mid morning :cry:
My heart and chest don’t like the heat and protest with breathlessness and swollen feet.
Chloe is nearly 15 and is hiding under the stirs from the heat with her fan on.
The garden and vegetables/fruit I have so carefully tended for months are dying . I am a northern girl used to cold weather not heat.

2 Likes

I really hate that thing and its ridiculous, dictatorial, absurd tickings off as if we’re a class of 5 yr olds. :rage:

2 Likes

I love hot, sunny weather, up to about 30°C or so - above that, it begins to feel a bit too hot to move around much - though it depends on the humidity too.

The main disadvantages of very hot weather in UK is that the country is not used to it or geared up for it.
Most of our native plants have evolved to survive in a temperate climate, so are not as drought-tolerant as the native flora in hotter countries.
Our water supply systems have been built with the idea that we will have sufficient rainfall to fill the reservoirs and top up the water table.
Our houses, public buildings, streets and infrastructure were built for a temperate climate - very little attention is paid to providing shade in the street or incorporating sun-shielding shutters, awnings, cold marble surfaces and through-draughts in our buildings.
And, of course, we have never needed to develop the habit of siestas to rest during the heat of the day and work in the cool of the early morning and the evening.

I didn’t like having to commute to work in London on very hot days or work in hot, stuffy offices but now I’m retired, I love the hot weather - this Summer has been the kind of temperatures I enjoy in the Mediterranean countries - if we could have rain every night and hot, sunny days throughout the Summer, I’d be very happy.

Yes, the humidity. I spent eight months in Taiwan. That was very uncomfortable. I also did a stint in the Sahara desert. Hot and dry of course but tolerable.

For me and my point of view, it’s the refrigerator and the freezers. During the hot weather it seems to me that the motors are running almost continuous and therefore excessively running up the leccie costs.

2 Likes

Yes LD, I have noticed that too.
The power companies will be rubbing their grubby hands even more now, won’t they.

2 Likes