Were You A Saver

When growing up?

Have you always been careful with money?

Or have you been a spender?

not so much me but my wife has always been a saver and now in old age, the dividends are paying out.

1 Like

Itā€™s what us baby boomers did ā€¦ you saved and you watched your money grow.

Now you save and watch it loose value.

21c life is about your credit score, the more in debt you are the more they want to lend you.

3 Likes

When I was 12 I went to work with my Dad. His policy was that being a male, if I wanted something, Like a car when I was 16, I needed to learn to pay for it. So I have been a frugal person since then.

1 Like

Never ever.

1 Like

Being raised in a house where money was short, I was always brought up with the ā€˜spend some, save someā€™ habit. It has stuck with me all through my life, likewise with my husband too. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I have been a saver and a spenderā€¦

My son has been a saver from a young age and has nearly paid his mortgage off.

Iā€™m a great saver when I have a specific target in mind or for a particular purposeā€¦say a holiday for example.
Otherwise I say spend itā€¦canā€™t take it with ya!

1 Like

A spender me. ā€œThere aint no pockets in shrouds!ā€ :wink:

2 Likes

Ive been a saver all my life .
But today I splashed out at M@S and bought a new winter coat and a couple of nice jumpers , I think now is the time to spend spend , I dont want to take my money with me .

1 Like

Lovely, Eliza, I was looking in M@S when I was in Newbury, they had some lovely winter wear, coats, jackets, I could have spent a fortune, they do great quality clothing I find and very reasonably priced.

1 Like

Well I knew I was buying a coat but when I saw the Per una Jumpers ,I tried them on and so soft on the skin .I just couldnā€™t resist. so I bought the same jumper in different colours . .
Need a bit colder weather , and a nice bag and possible some ankle boots .
Pauline ā€¦I like spending now !! :grinning:

1 Like

If I have something I want, Iā€™ll save. For example, I have built a small amount of available cash up for this monthā€™s invertebrate show.

My father died when I was 8 years old & seasonal summer work was always easy to find as a teenager, as I lived 3 miles from a seaside town. Plus, there was lots of grass cutting work around the village & harvest time work on the farms. So I would put some money away for my mothers & sisters Christmas present during the summer & also do things like buy bicycles etc. Then during the winter, I relied upon odd gardening jobs, sugar beet harvest & any odd farm jobs etc that popped up for my pocket money.

In adult life I have spent years working freelance, so again, work levels can vary. So as well as annual tax needing paying, I have had differering work & thus income levels. So not spending all of what I earn each month has always been a necessity for me.

2 Likes

I was always a saver from childhood, until buying my first house in my early 20ā€™s.
Even after then I saved where I could but thatā€™s not to say I didnā€™t spend because (for example) I was a 3-foreign-holiday-a-year type until about ten years ago but Iā€™ve never been a spendthrift, so Iā€™m probably in between.
Sensible maybe?

1 Like

I think the amount you earn makes a huge difference in saving, Zaphod, I was only on minimum wage.for most of my life as I had 3 sons to bring up, looking back I donā€™t know how I managed itā€¦never had anything to save to be honest.

2 Likes

Agreed and it certainly makes a huge difference to the sums saved of course, but it can be more about attitude than earnings.

We used to say that you cut your coat according to your cloth, and I have friends that earn huge sums that have taken on the largest mortgage they can and buy huge new cars every year; they live constantly in debt and in amounts that would prevent me from sleeping at night.
My sister on the other hand & her hubby have never earned much above the minimum wage & raised a family of three, but their modest home is now their own and theyā€™ve provided for their futures in other ways too - but then theyā€™ve not splurged on new cars, foreign holidays or the latest iPhone.

Yes earnings make a huge difference and can certainly make it trickier or even impossible at times, but saving is often more about attitude than income.

1 Like

My son would agree with this post, he does earn a lot of money, but refuses to buy the biggest of homes , which he could, he doesnā€™t want to pay a huge mortgage but the building society is only to willing to lend him big bucksā€¦each to their own though.

I agree ,itā€™s definitely about attitudeā€¦I buy stuff which I definitely donā€™t need, yet still I do it.

1 Like

From very young I saved , I had a post office book , if i ever earned or received money i would walk to the PO and watch the lady stamp the shilling or sixpence entry. It gave a me lovely feeling . I would save for Christmas then spend it on gifts . To this day I still have long term savings in the bank , used only for necessary items or emergencies .

I know what itā€™s like to have an empty purse and Iā€™m blessed to now know what itā€™s like to have a full purse

3 Likes

When I was a child my sister and I used to save by buying savings stamps - the 2/6 one had Prince Charles on it and the 6d one had Princess Anne, I think, if my memory serves me correctly. Then I went on to have a building society savings account, which I still have to this day - the building society has changed its name several times but I still have my account which I still add to monthly. I was taught that every thing must be saved up for and I have followed that advice all of my life - except for getting a mortgage to buy a house.

2 Likes

Both, I saved for anything I wanted/needed & spent when I was able to. Still do that now.

2 Likes