Well The Panic Buying has Started

He must have been taking the **** (and overcharging)!
:grinning:

2 Likes

Hi Bev!

I think that many of the, so called, “Cretins”, or “Idiots” might well be people, like yourself, who need to have fuel to carry on providing service to others.

The first hint, that supplies will be restricted, inevitably leads to exactly that happening.

People in social services, or those with kids at school, or those delivering Amazon parcels, they are all in the trap.

Of the people, in the queues, they are not all “idiots”.

Many have no choice!

1 Like

Many in the queues might indeed have no choice, but what about the numerous social media pictures of people filling up multiple jerry cans of fuel?
That is pure selfish greed.

2 Likes

@Zaphod , Might just be farmers ? ?
Just asking !!
Donkeyman! :thinking::thinking:

In my experience farmers have their own fuel tanks.
Not only do I live in farming country but I have farmers in the family.

Farmers here in this rural village do have their own tanks, these contain ‘red diesel’ for agricultural use only and in specific vehicles too. Possibly the same as my heating oil the tax is less or no tax at all, I don’t know for certain. Presently heating oil is 48.2p per litre, including 5% tax and delivery. Compare that to today’s price of diesel which is about £137.9 per litre, the difference being tax. For that reason and others, I cannot see farmers going to the petrol garage to join in the ‘panic buying’.

No your correct in that Baz, but I have to use ordinary diesel in my car so have to queue if I want to fill up, no matter that I’m a Farmers Partner, but thankfully I don’t need fuel the now., Also my OH Farmer will have to do the same for his landrover. He does have fuel tanks but like you said it’s for red diesel for the machines.

£141.9 per litre??

@Baz46 , Zaphod , :hugs::hugs:, Yeah! I was only asking ??
Where l ‘recently’ came from, farmers and other rural dwellers used to get
their tax free diesel from the local Co- Operative outlets , myself included !
And just before any holiday periods the queues could be horrendous !!
With farmers bakkies complete with trailers loaded with old plastic chemical
containers being filled with diesel fuel !!
I’m sure you know how slowly farmers move ? :sob::sob:
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

I missed out on the last panic buying season and as I do not have a car will miss out on this one, I feel so isolated and feel it is affecting my mental wellbeing. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Apologies, I put the £ sign in when it was probably correct had I not done that (or I could have made this £1.41.9p), although I am sure most will know what that should have been. See my quoted text above where I have now edited out the £ signs. The format of those two prices is now the same as appears on the AA website below:

No problem. Maybe I am that pedant!

That’s a possibility, I am sure there is plenty of room for two of us!

By the way, I had to correct my quoted text as that was incomplete and should
be accurate as it is a quote. See emboldened text in the quote above.
:upside_down_face: :grinning:

3 Likes

I agree Bev. It was stupid of people in government saying “Just buy fuel as normal” when it had already been reported that some fuel; stations had to close.
When al governments start to be more honest with the public & explain that there may be some difficulties , instead of assuming we are all dumb idiots , they will be less likely to lose votes at the next election!
I can’t stand liars & don’t think there are many politicians that aren’t one! :open_mouth:

Queue’s everywhere here yesterday too.
Tesco had shut their forecourt altogether.

It is the people panicking who make the supplies run out even faster.

It looks like it could be a difficult winter this year, what with the petrol situation, food shelves half empty, gas & electricity price hikes and of course - the dreaded Covid still around. :icon_sad:

• BTW, we seem to have two threads on this subect?

Shell and Gulf are prioritising key workers, with separate pumps, and staff checking ID before allowing them to use them.
Anyone needing help buying some petrol, here to help. :grinning:

1 Like

Hah, I can imagine that happening before long too, Mr. Fraggle.

I also predict if the situation gets worse, there will be a spate of petrol thefts from our cars when left parked.

BTW, we seem to have two threads on this subject.

We do Mups, someone else started one after this one was going.
Maybe they could be combined.

@Rox, That’s what comes of panic posting Rox ??
Triple queuing !!
Donkeyman! :+1::grin::grin::+1:

1 Like