We’re empty nesters

Our son has moved out, bought a house with his girlfriend, so me and mrs, p, are alone, what do we do now?

4 Likes

Give some consideration to housing a Ukrainian widow with maybe a child, or even offering a bedroom to a young NHS nurse trying to save up a deposit to join the housing ladder.

1 Like

Enjoy the peace…

2 Likes

Yes, a very noble cause, living in a two bed bungalow we’ve suffered with three of us for years, finally, enough room for two…just.

4 Likes

Enjoy your time on your own with less washing to do ! :slightly_smiling_face:

Give yourself a bit of time to get used to it………

Or don’t! My friend turned her son’s bedroom into her craft room the day after he moved out🤣

Seriously, it can come as a bit of a shock and you may well be sad for a while. The end of an era, give yourself time to adapt

And then the world’s your oyster. A new stage of life and adventure. Expand into that spare space, join a group or club? Go out or dine in as a couple again, you’ve done your stint as hands on parents, have some fun xx

3 Likes

I enjoyed it when our 2 left, peace n quiet, very little mess and MY CHOCOLATE LEFT IN THE FRIDGE.

1 Like

At first it’s going to feel strange but you can do what you want now and you’ll still see them sometimes.

1 Like

LD I know that you have done this and it incredibly good of you but I personally cannot think of anything worse than having another woman and / or a child in my house and kitchen .
If I owned an annex it would be ok but otherwise no way Jose it’s a recipe for disaster .

2 Likes

Spot on logan1.
It was very strange when my lads left home,but they came for a roast dinner every Wednesday and called in ever other day.
Actually,i saw more of them than when they lived at home.

Yes! Enjoy your peace and privacy. You’ve earned it. Enjoy. :heart:

Apparently Italian men take their duds home to Mama to wash until they are around 35 !

Put a big table in there and make it a map room so you can plan your next adventure…
:earth_asia:

Crikey foxy, it’s only just big enough for a bed

1 Like

Well a lovely day today, we’ve spent it with our son, at home, watching tv, just like old times :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Son moved out about 14 years ago. Lived in York for about 6 years and then came back which we thought was going to be briefly and 8 years later he is still here!

Daughter moved out over 2 years ago to live with partner and no signs of coming back, thank goodness. However, they come over every Sunday for lunch and usually pop in during the week. I would LOVE some time to just old man and me!!

You could always move and not tell them…:face_with_hand_over_mouth:

This is my point as, as a youngster being so promiscuous :laughing: :icon_wink:

We are all different Muddy and I understand what you wrote. I’ve nearly always had a house-full and before the young Ukrainian widow with her twin daughters, we already had two committed partnership nurses (Sally & Pattie) in one of the large bedrooms. They are saving in earnest for a house deposit, but could never manage saving anything until I offered them rent free accommodation. Solo and her 5yr old twins have only very recently moved out and in with my eldest grandson when they became engaged after months of courting. They marry next month and hopefully they will all enjoy some secure happiness at last. My grandson lost his 1st fiancée (SADS) and had been utterly lost until Solomiya with her girls came into his life. They are all very happy together, so it made sense for all to start a new life as a family.
My kitchen has never been an issue as I’m the chef and I undertake all the cooking etc, including Sally & Pattie’s weekday nutritious lunchboxes. Both of them are like daughters and as well as the front sitting room to use at will, they treat the other living rooms just as natural daughters would. They will be deeply missed when they do have a good sizeable deposit and move out, but I reckon that will be at least 2 more years away if not longer.

1 Like

I’m not sure I could share my home but I respect those who can…I don’t think it would work for me though. If I could make part of the house self contained I might consider it…maybe.

Primus…dont get too comfortable in your empty nest because if your kids are anything like mine they return a few times before finally settling down…thats what happened to us anyway…good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like