We’re empty nesters

Its a reciprocal thing summer, I could not share my home and likewise, I would not be comfortable sharing anyone else’s but, if a catastrophe happened, what one would choose to do might become secondary.

2 Likes

I guess it might be a cultural thing and the way plus environment we were raised it. My lot are very family orientated and nearly every household was/is always busy with comings and goings, so we tend to be gregarious and welcoming to newcomers. My early years were in my paternal grandparents two pubs and one of them let rooms out to mostly ladies who worked in and around Soho, so again I was used to people around the home.

Yep LD, you are probably correct, I’m great with folks in neutral territory but am more isolationistic in the home (or theirs). Didn’t come from a big family so not used to sharing space and, don’t particularly like my routine change but that is my problem, no one else’s fault

2 Likes

I think you are a hero and very compassionate giving a home to those less fortunate LongDriver.
I tend to think like Spitty, if there was a catastrophe in my neighbourhood I would most certainly take in some neighbours, but not strangers. I would most likely help a stranger in need, but not share my home with them.
My parents kept themselves to themselves, and in the early years I spent lots of time at my cousins house where it was always a hive of activity with two boys and a girl, my uncle and auntie, and my grandmother all living under one roof. They had very little, but were extremely happy and welcoming.
I guess being an only child, and the ability to fill my time with interesting things, and be happy in my own company has created a somewhat independant and solitary person.
Having said that, I can be very social and love a good nag with friends and neighbours, but I like to know that I can shut it off and find my own space when I need to.

2 Likes