Vote of no confidence in Boris Johnson - Tory rebels wait for Boris Johnson to ‘blow himself up’

Exactly right Wendeey :023:

The thing is and what Omah doesn’t realise is that Labour are more tory than the tories at the moment.

If Bunter is still in the frame then that will see the Conservative party in the political wilderness for a lot longer than forty days and nights.

Omg Labour are rowing about whether a woman can be born with a penis or not. I have more faith in the electorate than you. I think when the pics of Starmer taking the knee and his comments regarding women being born with a penis are splashed all over the front pages during election time, people will come to their senses.

:wink:

Starmer was/is reacting to politics-on-the-hoof as the ALL do and sensible people realise this. (Sadly) I’ll take Labour all day long rather than today’s Conservatives. Almost the whole dammned lot of MP’s along with today’s 1922 committee are beyond being unfit for purpose, they are toxic.

And that’s fine by me, but I’m the complete opposite, I wouldn’t trust Labour as far as I could throw them, especially Starmer and his hypocrisy. If there was an election tomorrow my only reason for voting would be to keep Starmer out and I trust Boris more than I do Starmer.

2 Likes

What hypocrisy? Westminster is a marketplace. Votes and support are traded on a quid pro quo basis.

That really would be going from the frying pan into the fire.

1 Like

I full agree with you Muppie. Bower Barffed Boris is preferable to that smarmy and highly stilted Stammer.
bower-barf historic finish – the Fine Architectural Hardware Blog (albarwilmette.net)

This is actually a much bigger issue than Bunter. It’s the whole rotten government and the only way to get rid of them to limit further damage to the nation is for there to be a vote of no confidence which would result in a much needed general election. What we have at present is NOT a Conservative government.

1 Like

Oh dear, it’s a sad day for our country when some people trust Johnson at all, let alone more someone else! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

I don’t get why the Johnson supporters keep saying that?

If they chucked him out, it wouldn’t be Starmer as PM would it? It would be another Tory? :thinking:

Probs the best way to make sure Starmer is the next PM is for the Tory party to let Johnson cling on to being PM with his finger nails, despite having disgraced his party, himself and his country

Because hopefully the electorate won’t forget Johnson’s corruption and deceit, so if he leads the Tories into the next election it might give Starmer a better chance :+1::crossed_fingers:

If they don’t ditch him now, but choose a new leader by the next election, the stench of them letting him stay will cling and, again, give Labour an in :+1:

Their best chance of disassociating themselves from his disgustingness and regaining popularity is probably by doing the decent thing and ditching him now :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Well from what I’ve heard, the Tories want Starmer to stay leader.

And the pollsters are saying that comparing to the past mid term polling Labour should be well ahead by now, but they’re not.

John Stevenson is the latest Tory MP to reveal that he has written a letter of no confidence in Boris Johnson.

It means 12 Tory MPs have called on him to resign since Sue Gray published her report into lockdown parties last week.

Former cabinet minister Dame Andrea Leadsom has also hit out at the PM’s “unacceptable failures of leadership”.

Dame Andrea did not join the ranks of Tory MPs to publicly call on Mr Johnson to resign, which now stands at a total of 28.

In a letter to her South Northamptonshire constituents, she said individual MPs would have to decide for themselves how to respond to the Gray report, which laid bare a culture of Covid rule-breaking at No 10.

But the normally-loyal MP said the report revealed “unacceptable failures of leadership that cannot be tolerated and are the responsibility of the prime minister”.

1 Like

28 Tory MPs out of 365.

I think that was a good letter that Andrea Leadsom sent to her constituents. And not much different to what Boris himself has said.

This is my favourite letter Andrea Leadsom has sent and wish she had become PM instead of Theresa May just think what a different place we would be in now.

Dear prime minister

I am proud to have served in your government since 2016, first as your environment secretary and for the last two years as leader of the House of Commons, and pay tribute to the excellent work of my civil servants in both roles. More recently, setting up the new complaints procedure, putting in train the restoration of the Palace of Westminster, introducing proxy voting for MPs, proposing a new strategy to support early years, and ensuring the timely delivery of our legislative programme, my role as leader of the Commons has been highly rewarding, and I am grateful to have had these opportunities.

I stayed in cabinet to shape and fight for Brexit. There have been some uncomfortable compromises along the way, but you have had my determined support and loyalty in your efforts to deliver Brexit as our shared goal.

I no longer believe that our approach will deliver on the referendum result, for the following reasons:

1. I do not believe that we will be a truly sovereign United Kingdom through the deal that is now proposed;

2. I have always maintained that a second referendum would be dangerously divisive, and I do not support the government willingly facilitating such a concession. It would also risk undermining our union which is something I passionately want to see strengthened;

3. There has been such a breakdown of government processes that recent Brexit-related legislative proposals have not been properly scrutinised or approved by cabinet members;

4. The tolerance to those in cabinet who have advocated policies contrary to the government’s position has led to a complete breakdown of collective responsibility.

I know there are important elections tomorrow, and many Conservatives have worked hard to support our excellent candidates. I considered carefully the timing of this decision, but I cannot fulfil my duty as Leader of the House tomorrow, to announce a bill with new elements that I fundamentally oppose.

I fully respect the integrity, resolution and determination that you have shown during your time as prime minister. No-one has wanted you to succeed more than I have, but I do now urge you to make the right decisions In the interests of the country, this government and our party.

It is therefore with great regret and with a heavy heart that I resign from the government.

1 Like

As far as I’m concerned, it isn’t worth getting into an scathing argument about in the slightest, because I shall still think what I want, and no one will make me like, or trust, Starmer.
I don’t think the sun shine’s out of Boris’s backside at all, but he is still the best of a bad bunch.

3 Likes

I don’t usually agree with Owen Jones, but with this I do:

But whatever happens next, ask yourself truthfully: if you care about Johnson’s dishonesty but dismiss Starmer’s, then do you really care about dishonesty at all, or do you just resent being on the receiving end of it? And when you answer – unlike Britain’s two leading politicians – try to be honest.

The blatant dishonesty of Bunter is simply totally unacceptable. If we can’t trust what he says, trust it 100%, then he should not be in any political office let alone the UK prime minister. I have to add that I am most awfully disappointed in how he has turned out. In fact the whole Front Bench and most Conservative MP’s should be kicked out along with the equally shameful 1922 Committee.

Did you read Owen Jones’ article?

Hardly an unbiased commentator.