Virgin Media is getting worse

That’s why I never change my provider Annie, it’s worth a couple of extra quid to prevent another heart attack. Just for the record JB, I pay about £57 a month for unlimited broadband, phone rental charge, and 700 minutes of free calls to mobiles and other selected numbers.

I pay £10.00 more than that to VM but have a TV package too. I’m about to cancel the TV because I hardly ever use it. That should bring the price down a fair bit. The broadband and landline will stay as it is.

The VM call centre can be a problem but not because of a lack of willingness to help or attitude. I haven’t found that to be as mentioned here. It’s accents I have trouble with. Having got to the department needed on the phone, I have to hand over to Mrs mart who doesn’t have the trouble with accents that I do.

This article gives a guide for how much speed/bandwidth each device needs. I suppose you have to reckon that multiple devices could be in use at the same time.

I hate having to use the telephone mart, for much the same reason as you. I get so annoyed and frustrated keep having to say - Pardon! Sorry! What did you say…:blush: So God only knows how the person on the other end of the phone must feel…:mad2:

I’ve always resisted the urge to subscribe to extra TV providers. I must have seen just about every film that was ever made, and most of the more recent ones are either animated or contain gratuitous violence, both of which I don’t care for. Besides, I’ve got a cupboard full of DVD’s that rarely see the light of day.
I usually fall asleep after my cocoa at 10:00pm anyway…:015:

My internet only provides for this laptop, except when the family visit when there can be four or five thumbing away on their smartphones and tablets using dads/grandads internet. Nice to see them and have a catch up though…:surprised:

Of course.

Wen ah wer a lad in them days, most people barely had a penny to their names. If tha wanted to save up, it’d be a penny at a time.

That’s not cheap. Who are you with?
Ah, Virgin, I presume!

Virgin sodded me off JB because I didn’t have superfast high speed fibre, so I went with BT…Spot on service…:023: Anyway, it’s got ‘British’ in the title so that’s good enough for me…:cool:

I’ve spoken to VM on the phone in the past, but to be honest I’ve found that they don’t know what they’re talking about!

I’ve written to them since. In addition, we both have a record of what has been said!

Thanks. That’s very encouraging. Much lower speeds than I expected.

Yes, forget the TV package.
Buy a Fire Stick (£40) and watch things for free, although you’d have to pay for Prime video and/or Netflix.

On the other hand, together they cost less than the TV Tax, which you won’t need.

I’ve had prime and a firestick for a while but have only recently opened my own account for Netflix (rather than sponging off our daughter’s account :)). It’s because of this I’m going to cancel the TV part of the VM package.

It was worth it before I cut down the number of channels I pay for but since dropping down, I don’t think it’s much better than what Freeview or Freesat offers.

The new TV has a satellite tuner built in as well and I might get Freesat working. The cable from the roof is in but the dish and LNB are quite old and not working.

We have now arranged for a broadband supply from John Lewis (who use Plusnet) including installation of a telephone line for £50, although once the line is connected it will be there for any other supplier we may want to go with. Their rates are reasonable and the standard speed - average 10Mbs download - will hopefully be adequate. We decided on a one year contract which, for the whole year, will come to about £220.

If the supply is adequate for our needs, we’ll happily ditch Virgin Media as I have been disgusted with their very poor customer service. They may then decide to come up with a temporary reduction in cost, but after my writing to ask them for that three times, TOO LATE!

If it turns out that the slow service from John Lewis (and all others available in our area) is proving problematic, we’ll have to cut our losses and cancel at the end of the contract or even earlier although there will be early cancellation charges.

Hoping for the best!

Sad times, JBR!

It seems to me that VM only make offers in areas where the competition is highest.

That might, gradually, change as more Companies get started.

Yes, you’re completely right.
Competition, competition, competition! That’s what always benefits the consumer.

As my part of the world has a fast fibre supply, I can’t imagine any other supplier trying to compete here. Not when there are areas without fast fibre who are crying out for faster broadband speeds.

May I ask Posters to get the terms right, when they say what the speed is, of their Broadband.

If you say Mbs that means Mega bits per second.

If you say MBs that mean Mega Bytes per second

(the M or m don’t worry about) but a “Byte” is 8 times as big as a “bit”!

Makes a big difference to the speed you’re getting!

“Mbps : Megabit per second (Mbit/s or Mb/s) MB/s : Megabyte per second 1 byte = 8 bits 1 bit = (1/8) bytes 1 bit = 0.125 bytes 1 megabyte = 1000 2 bytes 1 megabit = 1000 2 bits 1 megabit = 0.125 megabytes 1 megabit/second = 0.125 megabytes/second 1 Mbps = 0.125 MB/s.”

(switches pedant mode off!)

Somewhat OCD since the thread died out on 8th June. Just saying :grimacing:

But it will turn up as a new post?

Okey Dokey @Tedc

Just remember where you put your post, 'cos I suspect you might need to quote it again :wink:

I dropped it into a red pillar box, in town!

:neutral_face: