Virgin Media is getting worse

Virgin Media is becoming even worse!

Not only do they charge more than anyone else - over £40 a month, their customer service is terrible.
I have written to them three times now asking if I (as a long standing customer) might ask for a reduction of download speed from 100Mbs to 50Mbs with a reduction of fee. I am still awaiting a response.

In addition to those things, they now appear to have removed their email service, or at least I receive the constant message, “Your email is not at present available”.
Fortunately, I stopped using VM email several months ago and now use Gmail.

We’re now really considering leaving VM. The only concern is that we have two laptops, a Fire Stick, a VOIP telephone and three external security cameras, all needing an internet connection although, of course, not all necessarily at the same time.
I’m not sure whether the advertised standard 11Mbs will suffice.

It’s not only the speed which I’m not sure about, I’m quite annoyed with VM’s poor customer service and the cost for such a poor service. They don’t deserve our custom.

1 Like

I just checked my BT speeds…Download 13.56mpbs. Upload 0.92mbs Not fibre, I might add…

JBR,

You might like to try the standard approach, to Virgin Media, which seems to work for most people.

1. Telephone them ( not email) and say that you are, seriously, considering leaving then ,sadly, as the rise of other Internet suppliers seems to make them more cost effective.(Note, they will know if there are no competing companies in your area!)

2. They may call your bluff or switch you to their “negotiating” person.

3. If they call your bluff, you may be “out”.

4. Normally, and I have done this quite a few times, their negotiating man comes up with a special deal based on fiddling with the speed levels/phone usage, or whatever, and finds a 20% discount deal - for a year or so.

Just be firm that you are unhappy, but don’t press the "I’m leaving button, too soon.

I think they are happy that most customers don’t bother to do this!

:slight_smile:

They finished with me a few years ago JB, they were shedding all of their customers who don’t have a high speed fibre connection…:shock: They said I would automatically be transferred to ‘Talk Talk’ I said ‘Not on your nelly’ and moved to BT, the best thing I ever did. It caused me loads of problems because my emails were with Virgin and the bank and pension provider didn’t believe me…

Anyway, now my emails are with Gmail like you, and it’s all settled down…:cool: My bank has just been taken over by Virgin Money…here we go again…:-(:009:

Thanks.
My first step will be to investigate what is available and whether the standard non-fibre speeds would be sufficient for our needs.

I shall then have a word with VM as you suggest.

An alternative option would be to pay for the installation of a telephone line (£50, I think) and a year’s supply from a highly rated non-fibre supplier to see whether we really need VM’s fibre supply. I could disable the VM supply temporarily whilst testing the situation.

If everything works reasonably well, it would give me the greatest pleasure to leave VM, because they really don’t deserve my custom.

:lol::lol::lol:

What I’d like to find out, and I hope people don’t mind my asking on here, is what items other people on non-fibre connections find they can use without any problems.

As I said earlier, we have two laptops (often both in use at the same time), a Fire Stick (again, often in use at the same time as the laptops), a VOIP telephone (though if we ditched VM, we’d have a normal telephone along with the internet connection), and three security cameras (though these might not be needed whilst we’re using laptops and the telly).

I think all ISP call/help centres can get their share of complaints about poor service. I’ve had my times with VM but persistence has paid off. Other service provider grumbles can be found.

The speed offered by VM fibre optic cable and co-ax can’t be matched in most places at present. I’d have to be very upset with VM to change because no other company can offer the same broadband speeds around here at present. It’s been pretty reliable all in all.

So has mine, Foxy. :mad2:

I first opened an account with Yorkshire Bank when I was in short trousers. I have thought about switching to another bank, but I no longer have any short trousers. :frowning:

My first bank account was with Barclays. I remember in the olden days, when cash machines first appeared, they issued me with a small book of leaflets which I could use to withdraw cash - limited in number and limited in amounts.

I then went to Yorkshire Bank, simply because I’m a Yorkshireman!

Now with First Direct because they’re the best!

Alexa, Amazon firestick, 2 laptops, 2 mobile phones, normal telephone - all at the same time. Videos running on wifi as well, if that helps.

Brilliant! All on an 11Mbs copper connection?

That’s all I need to know. Thank you.
I’ll be able to have a much cheaper broadband service then, perhaps £20 per month (plus a £50 one-off for a telephone line).

Yes, its great and sounds much cheaper than what you are doing now! Virgin sounds awful :frowning:

I’ve never had any problems with Yorkshire Bank, but as soon as Virgin Money took over, things started to go wrong.

I’ll bear that in mind, JBR. :023:

But which company is it you’re with?
Are they reliable? Few problems, fixed quickly?

Yes. Virgin is a rude word in our house!

OGF I saw a headline this morning about Google deleting all google pics, cloud and gmail emails without permission. Hard to know the best company to go with.

I feel the same way about them. They are rude and arrogant.

They assume customers know how their systems should work even though the self service section of the customer account interface is rubbish. But they make you feel that you should have understood how to do whatever you have phoned them about yourself.

I guess they have taken over huge swathes of the market by providing what is in effect a monopoly service.

It’s very difficult to cancel too. They have made it easier than it used to be but it’s still hard work and they try to phone you with a sales pitch to stop the cancellation.

I have been with them since Christmas and there have been no problems at all. One enquiry I had with a scammer trying to overthrow my line in favour of theirs, was dealt with efficiently & quickly by a Yorkshire man, and all was well. However, I must balance this with a neighbours experience of BT, who has had problems switching over and they mucked it up a bit because she wanted to keep her old telephone number and they gave her a new one. She had to do without everything for an additional two weeks while they sorted out a new contract for her, but all is well with her now.

I saw that, but no, they’re limiting their free storage to 15Gb, I believe.
I’m nowhere near that.
They also stated that they’d give plenty of warning to customers to purchase additional storage.