Vauxhall Crossland

Been out and ordered our new car, as per title, its a 1.2 petrol 5 door auto, we had a test drive today and the wife likes the size and says she liked to drive again, so we’ve gone the auto route, lots of features on it, most important of all is heated steering wheel, have one now and love it. Hopefully it’ll arrive for march 1st new plates, 14 weeks or there abouts, all manufacturers are the same for delivery’s.

4 Likes

The three pot turbo charged engine seems to be the modern thinking and of course with less moving parts giving lass friction, greater efficiency is achieved … good choice :ok_hand::+1:

1 Like

Nice choice … :+1:

1 Like

Must admit to being sceptical of the engines but has you point out it seems to be the norm now, it’s quite pokey, the same engine is used in the bigger Grandland but with different gearing it seems.

1 Like

My wife’s little Suzuki city car is a 3 pot job and I was very sceptical until I test drove one around town and was impress at the way it pulled away at busy roundabouts. I could feel its extra grunt as the variable valve timing changed and extra injectors kicked in too (a Suzuki dualjet patent) just as the extra power was needed. Very low emissions at 84gms swung it and she bought it at a time when it was zero rated for road tax, so a double bonus👍

1 Like

A lot of these 3 cylinder engines have turbo’s, to give extra shove…

2 Likes

They all seem to be using the turbo, so one expects if it should go bang to be reasonably priced once out of guarantee.Unlikely to keep it beyond three yrs though, unless we really really want to keep it.

Turbos are much more reliable since the advent of variable geometry and nozzles came into existence. The waste-gates used to be problematic, but they are old technology these days.

I’ll take your word for it.

1 Like

With modern synthetic oils, lubrication keep the bearings spinning freely and the latest 0W20 gets to places quicker on start up, especially at sub zero temperatures. I buy our own and take it in with the car just to be sure the best oil is always used since I am no longer able to service our cars.
WHAT IS 0W-20 | WELCOME | CASTROL USA

1 Like

Please can you update us (well, me, really :wink: ) on your thoughts of the car when you’ve had it for a couple of weeks please?

I’m thinking of swapping my car for an auto model, as my left-leg is buggered and constant gear changing is a pain (literally). I’ve narrowed my choice down to the Crossland or the 1.0 Ltr turbocharged MG ZS 6-speed auto.

Thanks

1 Like

The thing with turbo’s is ,after a long motorway trip, or towing it’s important to let the engine run for a couple of minutes before switching off, this allows the oil to circulate and cool, if not, it can carbonise which will shorten the life of the turbo

I had to change over to an auto when my first knee went. Like yourself I had to physically lift my leg up to put it on the clutch to change gear. Couldn’t carry on like that so I swapped my VW Passat Estate for the same but an automatic, what a difference it made, I loved that car and I kept it way too long, 12 years in fact. Back with a manual gear car now though, took bad with it for a while and would go back to an auto if I could.

You’d have to hope so, 1.2litre? my mower is bigger.

My first car was a 990cc model, and it was fast enough. I travelled all over the country in it without any problems, so I know that a turbo model 1.2 turbo model will be okay.

I feel your pain, my ex GPO Morris Minor van was fitted with the BMCs joke 803cc engine I don’t think I ever left the slow lane on the M1.

British cars have always been underpowered, as you say they get you there eventually but it is so irritating when all the vehicles around you slow down going up hill then speed back up going down the other side.

When I was last in the UK the brand new rental car could not maintain the cruise control speed on hills, I took it back and complained but every car they had was the same.

I don’t understand it, it is a fallacy that smaller engines are more economical, that Morris used to get about 25mpg which was exactly the same as my agricultural 3.3litre straight six Holden Kingswood at about the same time - my current 3 litre turbo diesel does over 30mpg even when towing.

I am not talking about speeding or sports cars just your average family car, bigger engines are less stressed, it takes the same energy to move a 1 tonne car whether powered by struggling 1.2 litre engine or a 2.5 litre engine with power in reserve.

1 Like

Having read all of the reviews around recently, the only detraction I could find for the MG was the high insurance group of 10E, so even considering that, my choice of the two would still be the MG with it’s 7yrs warranty :+1:

1 Like

All these new small turbo charged engines are great, and, if you are a say 5000 miles a year driver and keep your car for say 5 years are a perfect choice. Time will tell how good they are for a second/third owner with say 60,000+ on the clock.

Like any car spitty, look after it and it will last , indeed, there’s plenty of turbocharged cars around in excess of100k miles

Don’t disagree Primus, the essential difference here is the small engine capacity, fewer cylinders and the high state of initial tune, which is hard to maintain as wear and tear creeps in.

1 Like