Used Cooking Oil

We’ve been debating pretty much the same thing here but for slightly different reasons, I will say the words “Mrs Zaphod” and “Slimming World” as a big clue.
:rofl:
We decided not to bother because even though a fryer or the alternatives like an Actifry or a Ninja Foodi would get used sometimes, they either wouldn’t get used very often or one thing wouldn’t do everything we want it to - and they’re big bits of kit to store either on a side or away somewhere too.
Oh and then there’s the cleaning of them.
:face_vomiting:
So we decided not to bother because in fairness our combi-microwave does most things quickly and well enough already so for a few things, nah.

What are fries?

Oh sorry. Chips as in ‘fish ‘n chips’ without the fish :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Now what do you mean by ‘chips’ @Bratti? Are they what we call crisps in the UK? Because you go on to say they make great fries, which are chips in the UK. I’m just wondering if you and MrFraggle are talking about two different things here :thinking:

I have an air fryer and cook shop bought oven chips in it, which are amazing. Home made chips in it are a bit hit and miss though. I think I’ll have to practise these a bit more, keep a note of which potatoes work best etc.

But the air fryer in general is fantastic, I use it virtually every day. And no, I’m not talking about traditionally fried foods only - I use it for cooking panini, for heating up pastries, scones, croissants, pain au chocolat etc. And air fried broccoli and cauliflower is great too! Must admit I haven’t tried doughnuts yet - can’t really imagine putting a spoonful of soft dough in it and expecting it fry like a deep fat fryer!! Must be a different recipe, with much firmer dough.

1 Like

I put used oil into old coffee tins - you know, the sort with a plastic lid. As these aren’t as securely sealed as a screw top lid, I’ll put them in something like an old bread wrapper, or any used plastic bag and securely tie the top before putting it in the general waste.

1 Like

I fry very little and make ‘oven chips’ without oil.
When I did have oil I put it it a glass jar kept in the garage and added to it , one glass jar occasionally to me is a lesser sin than that oil being disposed of anywhere else.

In the days when I ate meat solid fat was wrapped in foil and put in the bin.

Sorry a tad confused as I was talking about homemade chips?

It’s an air fryer and it cooks chips really well.
I don’t know how to explain chips better than as in ‘fish ‘n chips’ chips. The potatoes pieces that are sliced down the middle that look something like sticks. Anyway my air fryer which is a Ninja makes awesome chips / French fries. They are delicious.

2 Likes

So am I? Am I talking a different language here or something? People don’t seem to understand me. :nerd_face:lol

1 Like

At first I was talking about those thin type of crisp chips. I tried making those and they all stuck together in one big pile and basically burnt on the outside but bigger thicker French fry type of chips work really well. And if you still don’t understand what I am talking about then I give up. :upside_down_face:

I beat you to it. :rofl:

:crazy_face::joy:……

You wouldn’t think two countries sharing a common language would have such language barriers would you, haha!! UK chips = Canadian fries. UK crisps = Canadian chips.

I too have a Ninja, the 9 in 1 Foodi, so it air fries, grills, bakes, pressure cooks, dehydrates, makes yoghurt. I’ve only had it 6 months but I honestly couldn’t do without it now!

1 Like

I don’t deep fat fry anything, only grill or shallow fry, I hardly use any oil at all…

I have a Ninja also . I love this things. It cooks fries perfectly, works great in chicken wings and stuff and barely uses any oil

I never deep fry anything however a lot of oil can be collected from foods without the use of additional oils.

1 Like

My daughter has that very same Ninja. She loves hers. Cooking is not my thing though. :grinning:

Hi

I have very little used cooking oil, I do not deep fry anything.

I wipe my frying pans and use the paper wipes to start the incinerator to burn persistent weeds

1 Like

Useful tip!

We don’t even shallow fry. I have a small spray bottle of olive oil to spray my frying pan with before I fry the bacon on a Sunday morning. If I use more than a teaspoonful of oil each Sunday then that’s far too much. As for chips (fries), V always buys oven chips.

Ceramic frying pans don’t need oil/fat at all. :grinning: