Unboxed - festival of nothing at all

It was originally said to be a festival of Brexit. But no-one wants such a divisive theme. So it was a bit of a festival of Britain, but so very clearly Britain post Brexit. Then it became the festival of British creativity. But in reality it was the festival of nothing at all as hardly anyone went to see the things they put on. (Hey, there is still time to go, boost the numbers. They need boosting, they are currently at 1% of the target numbers visiting.)
This waste of money seems to have passed everyone by. I had to look up the official web site to find out they were wasting our money on. See below. Talk about led by donkeys.
SEE MONSTER is an extraordinary act of collective creativity ā€“ a decommissioned North Sea offshore platform regenerated as a major new art installation in Weston-super-Mare.
It does not look extraordinary. It looks like a very big class 3 attempt at a Blue Peter build.
OUR PLACE IN SPACE is travelling to Liverpool to journey down the bank of river Mersey. From 14 October to 6 November 2022, you can explore the solar system along this immersive sculpture trail using the AR App. Our out-of-this world creative engagement and events programme.It looks rubbish. Cheap and cartoon like. And not particularly engaging let
alone creative.
Then something about STEM. Which I thought was a lot about getting children, and especially girls, into maths, engineering and science. Which is what schools are for. Give the Ā£120m to schools you muppets.

I voted Leave, Iā€™m sure I made the right decision, and I would do so again, but I have to agree with you about this

I canā€™t be bothered to find out the details, but apparently this is something that was dreamed up by Theresa May, and it is cringingly bad and embarrassing
Why on earth do we need a Festival of Brexit anyway? Surely the fact that it happened is celebration enough?
So we should have just got on with things, and the money could have been spent elsewhere, on schools or something

I am reminded of the comment by, I think, Ronald Reagan

The most dangerous words in the English language are ā€˜Iā€™m from the Government and Iā€™m here to helpā€™.

And also from the book Crap Towns - The 50 Worst Places to Live in the UK ; You can always tell when somewhere is going down the nick; the council spends a load of money on something that nobody wants.

1 Like

Iā€™d love for you to explain how this was the right decision but perhaps that is for another thread. I donā€™t want this to be just another Brexit thread. Even though the genesis of this Festival of Pish was in the false idea that there was something to celebrate about Brexit.
So back to the theme - yes, a cringe-worthy notion dreamt up by a cringe-worthy PM, who was followed by another cringe-worthy PM, and then yet another. The Tories really have got into their stride of late.

@strathmore , On the contrary, The festival may well be crap, but what
that demonstrates is how far the UK has declined since joining the EU !
To blame brexit for 45yrs of EU rule is ridiculous,we have only been partly
free for barely two years, and during this time have been governed by a
government that never wanted to leave in the first place anyway !
The festival is a creation of that government, what else can you expect ?
:worried::worried:

2 Likes

Surely what it shows is how much the UK has fallen apart since Brexit. No-one said the 2012 Olympics were pish. Yet just a few years later the politics of made up stuff manages to deliver this Festival and Truss. Thatā€™s Brexit.

1 Like

@strathmore , So YOU say ! I thought you lived in France ??
Do you have interests in EU trade or summat ?? :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Iā€™ve not heard of the Festival of Brexit , it would seem Iā€™m not the only one .

I havenā€™t heard of it either .
All I know is that Britain is going down the pan ,we have a shambolic government that doesnā€™t know itā€™s @rse from its elbow and there is no one in whom we can put our trust .
Certainly not Truss ,nor that prize clown Boris who will go down in history as the man who brought down Britain .
We are FUBAR

@Ripple , Yeah, l hadnā€™t heard of it till now either!
Itā€™s just one of many, remember the mound on Hyde park corner ?
The bridge of trees over the Thames ?
HS2 ?
All political follies, F. all to do with brexit ! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

I thought the very idea of a Festival of Brexit was deliberately designed to be intentionally offensive to the nearly half of the voters who were dragged out of the EU against their will and thought Brexit warranted a wake, not a Festival. Just more Brexiter nastiness and gloating, par for the course

And xenophobic, letā€™s show Johnny Foreigner how great we are without them, again the worst of the Brexiter attitudes

So they backed down from that, watered it down a ā€œcreativeā€ festival called Unboxed, supposed to showcase whatā€™s good about the U.K.

Ā£25million! And very few visitors

Iā€™ve seen the See Monster, it was fascinating and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Was it worth Ā£12 million, no,I donā€™t think so

Plus it was supposed to be finished in August, so the schoolchildren and tourists could visit in the Summer

But there were ā€œdelaysā€ so it didnā€™t open until October, for just one month

And because it is high and exposed, visitors arenā€™t allowed to go up it in bad weather, especially if itā€™s windy

Not surprisingly, itā€™s often been windy on the English coast in October, so a lot of the time itā€™s been closed to visitors anyway

1 Like

We are not talking about decisions made ages ago. We are talking about a festival which was conceived in order to recognise Brexit. It was about Brexit. It was Brexit. And it was as successful as Brexit.

2 Likes

@strathmore , In your opinion !! which counts for nowt !! :+1::grin::+1:

Mind you, the festival of Brenda Reginaā€™s exit a few weeks ago was good. :wink:

So the National Audit Office are to investigate the money wasted. Good, I hope they look both into Unboxed and their fsilures and also politicians, like Jacob Rees-Moggs and Theresa May who approved itā€™s conception, and Johnson for letting it go ahead

So true, it was conceived out of malice, spite, xenophobia and triumphalism, wasting public money without a second thought in gloating

And now thatā€™s come back to bite them on because itā€™s been a disaster, just like Brexit.

3 Likes

The bridge of trees ā€¦ Boris Johnsonā€™s Garden Bridge ? :roll_eyes:
Then there was the other Johnson vanity bridge to link Scotland to Ireland Iā€™m giving that a treble eye roll :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Iā€™m pretty sure that was the bridge being referred to. Of course it was a dumb idea, it came from Johnson, but it required Ā£100m to evidence that it was a dumb idea. Johnson had such a track record of ill-considered ideas. That garden bridge was fast followed by his notion that a bridge across the Irish Sea was workable. And wasnā€™t he central to the building of the cable car crossing of the Thames? The one that is running at 10% of its capacity on good days. What other idiot idea did he support? Wait, there was a really big one, wasnā€™t there?

1 Like

There was the airport that didnā€™t get built ā€¦
Other than that I can only remember the gold wallpaper

1 Like

@Ripple , I think strathmore is referring to the big B idea.

1 Like

Are you say that wallpaper wasnā€™t a big mistake :astonished:
Oh of course you mean the airport :joy: