Unbelievable - Pregnant Woman Killed By Dogs!

Now you are generalising. I am a dog owner and I love my dogs to bits but I don’t see them as ‘babies’ or ‘family members’ - they are dogs and they are treated accordingly. Do I spoil them? Yes. Do I cuddle and kiss them? Yes. Do I buy them treats and presents? Yes. But I never confuse them with anything other than what they are. Ergo: you will get a rational argument from me.

I am astounded by your argument with Mark’s post and his question (which, I noted, you didn’t answer).

Even using your own stats - dog bites are more than twice the amount of any other bite. Also, to quote that ‘in 2010, there were two deaths as a result of dog bites’ as though that somehow reinforces your argument - it beggars belief; as though two isn’t worth worrying about.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/jarzel/ClarenSabre.jpg

This is one of my favourite photos! The child was a step niece of my brother, and the dog was ours.

Have a look at the Daily Mail website to see the photo of a woman attacked by her cat. She and her mother had to barricade themselves in a room for half an hour because they were too scared. And she had to use a vacuum cleaner to fight it off. It was her own pet!

(And they live in my home town!)

You’re frequently astounded by my posts. I do wish you’d put me on ignore as I obviously upset you .

I’m not even sure how your post came through as you’re on my ignore list as your posts are often - well - nonsensical. Anybody that considers staffies to be ugly do not deserve the benefit of my wisdom.

In the words of my teenage nephew - get over yerself, build a bridge and get over it. 'enuff said.

I never trust anyone’s statistics, when Mollie was 12 weeks old I had my mum living here, Mollie had razor sharp puppy claws and mum was on warfarin, not a good combo and we ended up at A&E because we couldn’t stop the scratch that had accidentally happened when mum was handing Mollie a bit of sausage from bleeding. Explained the accident to the nurse, and was very annoyed when it was recorded as dog bite/attack ! On the other hand I have been bitten twice in my life once by my own dog and once by a neighbours, I didn’t report either bite as my dog I had to have PTS and the other dog I was scared what the owners would do to it (they are known for poking and alpha rolling and putting it on treadmill for hours).

Also I do surveys for money and prizes and I can absolutely guarantee the statistics are not right at all, either the questions are posed to get a certain answer or people get bored and tick the least likely or funniest answer. You gov is particularly good for a laugh on a rainy day :wink:

Agree about statistics - this year I can recall 4 deaths from dog bites, thats my own recollection, there may be more …

I saw that it was pretty bad attack, never seen a cat do anything quite so bad but have seen some nasty bites and scratches over the years. Seem more likely to get infected too from what I have witnessed.

‘It was her own pet’ … quote
The problem is people put too much trust in their pet, they need to be very aware of the damage these pets can do, unfortunately too many are not aware …

True but unless we live in a real nanny state people will always take chances and not just with pets. I see it as personal choice but would draw the line where pets impinge on other people’s enjoyment of life. My dogs my responsibility.

A ‘perfect world’ would be people with foresight …
You are a responsible owner, we know that, I was always making the point for the non responsible owners of fiery pets …

Yes and that’s where registering owners comes in, we need to know who wants to own a dog although perhaps that comes under the heading of nannying ?

All dogs here are required by law to be microchipped and registered with the authorities, including the tiny breeds. The Vets fill in the relevant paperwork and send it off, in a couple of weeks the dog receives it’s own identity card with it’s name, it’s breed, it’s age, microchip number and owner’s name. If this is what you mean by ‘nanny state’ then I see absolutely nothing wrong with it.

Of course not everyone takes their dog(s) to the vet, many as we know just abandon them, but if a dog is a problem and
people know who the owner is, then the police get involved and that means trouble and expense. I personally think all dogs should be registered with the authorities for many reasons, ‘nanny state’ or not.

See I would have no problem with that I would also have no problem with making it mandatory that when a litter is born they have to register them all and that paperwork etc following each puppy throughout their lives, with each owner added on. Make the breeders take responsibility for the dogs they breed and take them back if there is a problem.

This page makes fascinating reading. If you read the page content itself the writer makes a convincing argument for the pitbull breed … but then read the comments.

How Pit Bulls Got Singled Out as Dangerous Dogs

Wouldn’t show up for me unfortunately.
No one could make a case for me with regards to these dogs …
They should be the forgotton breed …

Fixed it now.

So - pitballs are perfectly safe … Na - stop breeding them …

Hang on. The point I was making with the reference to the above page is how one person’s view can be so very different from anothers. The differing viewpoints can be found in the comments at the bottom of the page. There you will find plenty of opposing views backed up with statistics outlying the fact that pitbulls are indeed very dangerous animals and are not a suitable family pet.

If you took the writer’s viewpoint only you would think pitbulls are just wonderful animals - and so are every other breed of dog apparently.

Yes I got that Mark - just how it is on the forum, the ‘animal lovers’ will defend any dog - no matter what. Whereas ‘this’ animal lover will not be so biased, if it makes ‘sense’ to put an end to the severe injuries and death, then so be it, stop breeding them