UK heatwave: Temperatures rise to 31.8C and could climb further

I was joking…it’s because of Brad Pitt in “Meet Joe Black” where he meets the elderly lady in the wheelchair at hospital.

That sounds pretty draining actually. I hope it doesn’t come to that for you Sheba. :frowning_face:

So do I PK! I’m just praying my bedroom fan doesn’t break down - it’s pretty old.

ETA: I’ve just looked up the temps in my old town in Essex, and on Sunday and Monday it’s set to feel like 34deg, so I’m glad I’m not still there. It always gets so much hotter in the SE.

1 Like

PixieKnuckles posted quote " @Mups Mups! Gosh thats definately a melter :scream: Yes, i would say your phone is struggling to cope…mind you, its probably a question for @Realspeed, since he worked for BT :wink:"unquote

It is the engineers that suffer but far worse is when it is freezing and the ladder on the van roof and rope holding it are frozen as well. Only one answer abandon the job and let control know

1 Like

Yes but…but…is Mups’s phone melting? If this heat affects wires, then our internets will be in trouble! :scream:

If she keeps it in the fridge then she can do a lot of cold calling. :rofl:

1 Like

Haha! That made me laugh!

It might be nothing Mups, but when I walk past those big green boxes on the street that distribute the phone lines, I often hear a fan running. So obviously they are to keep things cool…
:phone:

1 Like

Brad Pitt? Who’s ee?

1 Like

Pffft! I’m not giving you a like for that! Such sacrilege! :scream: I’m not normally a fan, but in that he was really good…as an actor, of course :blush:

Coal pits brother.

1 Like

It was 32 here in North Yorkshire… Loved it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Are you Yorkshire too @caricature I must admit to being (kindof) familiar with the area myself.

The same way I do each year because we’ve seen theses temps almost each summer for the last four or five years. Just the length of the heatwave varies.

This was two years ago and the other one in 2018 when trees were looking in July as if it was October.
I do all the chores early in the morning and then stay inside. :crazy_face: :sweat:

Heatwave2

1 Like

I’m loving the warm weather in Yorkshire reet now - having just returned from 6 weeks in Greece, it’s lovely not to be shivering back in chilly Britain - I only had to wear my fleece for the first day or two to acclimatise to the slightly cooler temperatures of around 30C.

This hot weather has taken its toll on the garden, though :frowning::sweat:

2 Likes

Well your name is summer!

Those poor trees! :scream: I do remember taking a photo of a cherry tree from one year and comparing it to the following year…the difference was shocking. Yes, I agree the length of the heatwave does vary…although I do wish it were a bit more balanced across the UK :smiley:

:thinking:

How lovely, Boot! Looks like you brought the weather with you!

No Im not

Just prefer using good old ENGLISH measurements and not foreign ones

Suppose you are one of those remoaners

31.8 isn’t unbearable BUT it is meaningless without stating the humidity. Humidity is the killer and in the UK is usually up in the 60% range. Speaking very generally when the temperature gets up into the 30s here the humidity is 20% or less which makes all the difference because sweat evaporates freely .

As a matter of interest what is the humidity?

1 Like

No idea. My thermometer doesn’t tell me that. :grinning:

Latest forecast locally is 32 for next Sunday and Monday. There is a weather warning out for ‘Extreme Heat.’

There was a fire at a local nature reserve/park because some half wits had a barbeque and didn’t put it out properly. Why are some people so thick!

I feel so sorry for the horses and sheep in the fields if they have no shade.
It was on the radio this morning about not taking dogs out in this heat too. You’d have thought common sense would tell dog owners that.

3 Likes