UK heatwave: Temperatures rise to 31.8C and could climb further

Thats insane weather! People pay good money to go to places as hot as that!

That’s the thing, @Mags without a nice breeze, it just feels too bloomin’ warm!

@Mups Mups! Gosh thats definately a melter :scream: Yes, i would say your phone is struggling to cope…mind you, its probably a question for @Realspeed, since he worked for BT :wink:

Aww c’mon @galty …its fine I looked it up. 30 degrees…quite cool compared to some :smiley:

I remember that summer! It was the first time I discovered the ground was too hot to stand on, and my jelly sandals were sticking to the pavement!

1 Like

They’ll need a decent drop of rain to swell up,

I remember it well. Swelteringly hot. Our first child was born that summer.

2 Likes

Any warmer and I may have to think about turning my electric blanket down a bit. :smiley:

6 Likes

I do … I was living in Wales at the time:

A view of the dry bed of the Pontsticill Reservoir

Fires tear through Trefil Mountains during the hot weather

The drought at Lake Vyrnwy saw the remains of the village of Llanwddyn emerge from the water for the first time since the village was flooded with the construction of the dam in 1888

Coney Beach at Porthcawl

:hot_face:

2 Likes

Remember 76 well, they were painting the stop cocks in the pouring rain in the village I lived in readying for rationing , luckily it kept raining ,just stopped a day or two ago.

1 Like

That beach @Omah :scream: I’m all for sea air, but not anyone else’s! It’s a bit busy…!

Not '76,(or maybe it was?) but I remember one year they were ferrying water around the country in huge water tanks on lorries, because some areas were completley bone dry…no rivers or reservoirs or anything were available to get water from. Might have been then, I was a child over hearing this talk and wondering if the world was going to become a huge desert :joy:

1 Like

The temp threatens to be 26c here darn sarf

1 Like

I just re-read what you said @Dachs and did a double take…39 degrees?! I know Germany/Europe is warmer, but this is ridiculous! How do you cope?!

It could have been 1976. Eventually, our water was delivered by water tanker because we lived halfway up a mountain - when the water levels dropped so did water pressure and not a drop could reach us. So, when we had a tanker visit, we filled every possible receptacle, including the gazunders … :wink:

2 Likes

That’s a bit cooler compared to some…bizarrely though, the temps up here have risen slightly to 22 degrees at 6:22pm. Par for the course…we always do things back to front :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I had to look up a “gazunder” because I had no idea what it meant! Thats quite funny! :joy: (not the fact you had to fill them though, but…still…whatever worked at the time!)

1 Like

Our gazunders were intended to be for decoration only in a traditional Welsh quarryman’s cottage, but, in a water crisis, needs must … :grinning:

1 Like

I was far too young to marry, I fell in love with Debbie Harry back in 76.I was fourteen she was thirty two, It was never going to work.

1 Like

It means that your telephone line is melting.
Put some ice packs around it. It’ll be reet.

Oh, you’re a Yank?

That reminds me of Patois language

Nowt o’ t’sort. It’s Yorkshire English.

2 Likes

We’re set for temperatures feeling like 28deg tomorrow, a little lower on Wednesday. The real heat is going to be on Sunday and Monday, when temperatures are going to feel like 30/31deg :flushed: I shall not be venturing outside at all, no sirree :018:

1 Like

I was 19 it was Frida from ABBA for me.