UK election - its all about what the opposition will look like

David Lammy wasn’t in Government in 2019 - he wasn’t in the Shadow Cabinet and he wasn’t even an MP in 2019!

If folk are going to call for his resignation for a couple of insulting comments he made as a civilian 5 years ago, then a lot of other folk should step down from office too! - notably Donald Trump - if anyone cared to dredge through all the insulting and inciteful things he has said about other politicians - and encouraged whole groups of people to chant - both while he was in and out of office, it would be such a long list!
Maybe anyone calling for David Lammy to step down should be shouting for Donald Trump to step down too!

2 Likes

Agree Boot, but like it or not Trump may be the President come November. Do not see how Mr Lammy will be able to negotiate effectively with a man he despises. A false friend is more dangerous than your worst enemy.

1 Like

Has David Cameron stopped attending the House of Lords?

The shape of the opposition is, well, fractured. This is an interesting article, not that I particularly admire the author. The article highlights the factions in the Tory party. Not a basis for effective opposition. It also shows that so many in the party think their answer lies in Farage - linking in with Reform or getting Farage into their party. This appears to be a continuation of the previous cult of Johnson. They look to an individual who they see as a vote winner. That is, the person not the policies. That is a terrible mistake as it should be clear, purposeful and practical policies that drive and shape a party - not the cult of personality. The focus on an individual is simply a cheap, simplistic hope that he/she will swing the day - rather than the hard graft of building support around robust policies.
Tories will be out of power for quite some time.

1 Like

Building bridges, really! Labour destined to follow suit, perchance. There are none so blind as those who will not see. Labour only won because Conservatives lost the election.

https://x.com/darrengrimes_/status/1812815600047030279

Jacob Rees Mogg

1 Like

I’m not sure that there is any point building a bridge with the walking mountain of ignorance that is JD Vance.

David Lammy has been an MP for 24 years, since 2000.
So of course anything he has said since then is open to public debate.
I’m not sure why you’re saying he wasn’t an MP in 2019?

He was addressing a Conservative audience, tongue in cheek not to be taken seriously. :smile:

Labour will have difficulty building bridges, they would rather build red walls.

A lot more important people have lost their jobs for less than this boot…

1 Like

Oops! Sorry, my mistake.
I remember him having a cabinet position in the Blair/Brown government. I thought he’d stepped down as an MP and taken a break for a while after that but my memory has played tricks on me. I just checked and it was a shadow cabinet position under Ed Milliband that he had turned down but he was still an MP on the back benches.

Politics best described as a load of isms and ologies. Help or hindrance. Democracy does not exist. Affluence and influence, hegemony…