Two photos from the some position, different seasons

Gidgegannup - Western Australia
A dry Avon River last summer

The Avon River today at the end of winter

2 Likes

All very interesting!

Is this an annual occurrence or has it got worse in recent years?

I’ve read a number of news articles about Australia river systems which have dried up and then flooded in winter time - sometimes causing extensive damage to wildlife, farmland and residential areas.

I suppose these extremes have become a worldwide problem now. We had a prolonged hot and dry spell last summer in the south east of UK which almost resulted in serious water shortages. I’m sure privatized companies like Thames Water waste far too much water through leaks in old piping.

Your photos are showing your part of the world to be very beautiful so quite happy to see them in old Blighty!

This is a yearly occurrence. There are some rivers that rarely have water in them.
The Gascoyne River is called the upside down river.
On the surface, water flows for 3 months maximum. But below the surface it flows continually.
The Diamantina River floods then dries up. Many Australian outback rivers dry up after winter.
The phenomenon is becoming more prevalent as the decades pass.

A bit more than a season but here goes.
This is one of the first houses that was built in my town when the railway arrived around 1850. It’s still standing today.

5 Likes

My local town airport Shannon airport around 1960

same photo this year

3 Likes

Amazing that the Conning Tower has remained unchanged. :astonished:

1 Like

Only the dormer has gone. Well built to last.

1 Like

Definitely :+1:
You’ll notice the steps lead up to the first floor.
It was known as the upside down house because the people who lived there lived on the upper floor so they could admire the views over the fields for miles around. (It’s obviously not surrounded by fields anymore)

1 Like

Walmersley Road Recreation Ground (Clarence Park), Bury (early 1900s).

same house in the 1980.s
clarence

2 Likes

Is it still there today?

1 Like

Lots of the old buildings in my area are being demolished and replaced by blocks of flats. It’s sad to see them go but that’s progress I suppose. :pensive:

1 Like

Summer…

Winter (sunrise)…

5 Likes

Same street from different years

3 Likes