Trying to Get Pensioners Back to Work

Are you all ready to go back to work then?

We need to get the elderly back into work to tackle budget deficits and public debt | The Independent

I’ll be 79 in April and there’s not an insurer out there that would allow any employer to add me to their books. I did casually ask in Tesco’s about becoming a delivery driver and their laughter was deafening :grin:

7 Likes

This sort of thing makes me rage, we’ve worked since we left school but that’s not enough for some of these idiots. Lets start with them, see them put in a proper full days work for peanuts, not sat in Westminster snoozing away. He’s just another non entity trying to get his snout back into the trough IMO.

5 Likes

No way will I be working again. I firmly believe I’ve ‘done my bit’ by 55 years of working, almost without a break. My ‘reward’ for that was a reasonably good life with what that brought for me in retirement. However, the stresses and strains also left a mark on my health, almost six years on my that made me realise life is short, far too short to keep on working that is for sure.
:thinking: :grinning:

5 Likes

He forgets Farmers and their Partners/Wives don’t get to retire, they work till they die…Most of them. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

6 Likes

I think that is a horrific idea! Older people deserve and have earned their retirement, jeez. They might try a bit harder in getting the current jobless back into work instead of picking on folk who have worked all their life!! :angry:

4 Likes

Lot of pensioners work as fruit pickers as they travel, many volunteer with organisations like Blaze Aid so it is not that hard to find people willing to work. Plenty work into their 70s and even 80s since it became illegal to force someone to retire.

Not for me I hasten to add I was very happy to retire at 60

1 Like

It’s their own fault for sending all our young folk to university instead of letting them earn a living.
I started work at 15 and had half my wages taken off me in tax and national insurance, now it’s the other way round, we have to pay for them all to go into further education and they end up working in Macdonalds anyway…But they do have qualifications in some ‘Waste of Space’ obscure Subject.

5 Likes

Too true Bob, too true…

1 Like

Having said that Bob, the retirement age has increased by a couple of years or so, which kinda balances out the 3 years doing a degree and not paying tax.

Luckily the article (after seeing who the author is), is behind a paywall.

I’m taking early retirement, 17 months early, time for some one else to get their hands dirty,
Vince needs to remind us of in role in a coalition, that can’t have helped in todays situation,

More than that for women.

1 Like

Think I might duck out of this thread for a bit!! :grin:

I would love to go back to work but only as a bed/chair tester. I started at the age of 15 and had to pay graduated pensions as it was back then which took a big slice from the pay packet

3 Likes

Hi

Getting me back into work would be a joke.

1 Like

Deleted my post as off topic.

There are plenty of pensioners working in Tesco, Sainsbury’s,etc, great idea ,if they “ choose” to do so…they have earned their retirement as have I…I quite happy at the moment enjoying my retirement, but, who knows what may be ahead or in the pipeline for me later on.:wink:

Deleted.

When employed in industry, it was difficult enough to get some employees to work well before retirement age. :laughing:

1 Like

Illegitimi non carborundum.

5 Likes

Hi

In this instance Pauline I think OGF has made a very good point.

We used to train NHS Staff at no cost to them, they had to work for a certain number of years after qualification.

We now charge them and we have a shortage.

I started at Polytechnic, block release, got paid for it but had to work when not at Polytechnic.

Cleaning Sewers and inspecting intestines at the abattoir.

I had to work for them for 3 years after qualifying.

When I went on to Post grad at Uni, I had to make the time up and work another 4 years.

Many of my friends became apprentices, those who choose manufacturing did not get paid well, those on building went on to become self employed and made a mint.

Our big mistake is that we did not pay our skilled engineers, like OGF, as well as other Countries did.

Hence our problems with manufacturing and Exports.

We are happy to pay none productive people, like Estate Agents and Lawyers vast amounts, but not those who do essential jobs.

1 Like